Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: I think I\'m still 12 years old...

I'll give this some thought and some trial too. However, your point about "people starting to play differently against you" is major, and certainly can cause more problems at that table.

The stop loss "method" I use works for me, and that's why I use it, although I certainly understand the arguments against it and why it may not be right for many. I've learned that there is nothing wrong with running away from a situation which I thought was good but is proving NOT to be so (assuming, of course, that I believe my play decisions to be correct).

After playing over 100k hands, I began to track results at tables where I had lost 50% of my buyin. From that point on, i.e. from the point where I had lost 50%, my results were absolutely terrible EVEN THOUGH I BELIEVED THE TABLE TO BE A GOOD ONE and even though I wasn't on tilt and even though I believed I was making good poker decisions.

I tracked these results over 50,000 hands and decided, at that point, that I would use a stop loss method even though I was fully aware of the arguments against such a method. The bottom line is that this worked for me in that my results over the next 50,000 hands are very, very different by simply leaving the table and opening another and tracking results at the newly opened table.

My take on this is that either:
1. My table selection was, in fact, poor even though I didn't believe that to be the case.

OR

2. My table image (after losing) was such that players began to take shots at me (similar to what you said).

In any case, the results were markedly different. I felt that 50,000 hands was an adequate sample size for my experiment and I believe that this method works fine for me.