Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-07-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Crescent and the cross

Christianity was spread by the sword. Judaism was not spread, but rather enforced, by the sword. Zoroastrianism was spread by the sword. EVERY MIDDLE EASTERN RELIGION WAS SPREAD BY THE SWORD.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My understanding, and of course I could be wrong, was always that after the rise of Mohammed in 711, Islam spread throughout the Middle Eastern world basically by Muslim warriors approacing a city, telling them that they had to pay taxes to them. If they accepted, they paid the taxes and basically everyone was ok. If they refused, they were attacked, conquered and forced to pay.

[/ QUOTE ] wrong. Muslim warriors approached a city and told everyone there that they had to convert to Islam. Those that refused were killed. Islam was spread by the sword.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Christianity was spread much the same way throughout Europe. I know of at least a few occasions of mass murder in Germany during the Christianization of the Celts.

I was always under the understanding that the Muslims didn't paricularly care whether or not you converted so long as you paid, but I'll see if I can find some information to back one of us up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, for the most part.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My understanding, and of course I could be wrong, was always that after the rise of Mohammed in 711, Islam spread throughout the Middle Eastern world basically by Muslim warriors approacing a city, telling them that they had to pay taxes to them. If they accepted, they paid the taxes and basically everyone was ok. If they refused, they were attacked, conquered and forced to pay.

[/ QUOTE ] wrong. Muslim warriors approached a city and told everyone there that they had to convert to Islam. Those that refused were killed. Islam was spread by the sword.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Christianity was spread much the same way throughout Europe. I know of at least a few occasions of mass murder in Germany during the Christianization of the Celts.

I was always under the understanding that the Muslims didn't paricularly care whether or not you converted so long as you paid, but I'll see if I can find some information to back one of us up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure both were spread with violence. Sad to say really, but what can you do, it is an ideology.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, for the most part.

[/ QUOTE ]except for the muslim part.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Crescent and the Cross

History Channel is for lightweights. Steven Runciman wrote a very good three-volume history. Check it out.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
History Channel is for lightweights. Steven Runciman wrote a very good three-volume history. Check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap!

$70 for hardcover and $7 for paperback of the first volume only. massive difference.

I'm buying a paperback now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

BTW, thanks for the info bobman0330

Odd. This is the first time someone named bob taught me something that didn't involve a hammer. Wooohoo!!!!

-drunk wacki

P.S. Anything on TV is for lightwieghts.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:33 AM

The Inquisition was a rather mis-guided bit of Christianity, too. Sadly, a lot of things done by man in the name of their God, whatever form, were/are barbaric. There's an old saying about no army ever going into battle without "God" being on his side.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
after the rise of Mohammed in 711

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wondered how they came up with the name of that store. Now it all makes sense.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
after the rise of Mohammed in 711

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wondered how they came up with the name of that store. Now it all makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 AM

Actually, I was wrong about that date. 711 wasn't the date of the rise of Mohammed. Mohammed had his revelations in 610 and began to spread Islam c. 632. In 711, Muslims conquered Syria, Saudi Arabia and pretty much the whole Middle East.