Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Theory Of Poker

You can cold call this book. Just buy it and you can be 100% sure that you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: The Best/Read it

I think it is the top general poker book of all time. General poker concepts that you must know. A great book.

It covers pot odds, implied odds, betting for value, hand reading (thinking about your opponents hands, thinking about what your opponents thinks of your hand), counting outs, a little game theory, position, reasons for raising, loose games, bluffing, semi bluffing, "fundamental theorem of poker", structure, free cards, slowplaying, analzsis over the table, etc. More greneral theories and concepts covered in tremendous depth than you can imagine!

It elevates your game more then any other poker book. I reread it at least once a year.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: The Best/Read it

Good post.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 PM

I keep a copy in the bedroom in case I can't sleep at night
Old 08-25-2005, 10:28 PM

Great read if you're willing to finally take a numbers approach to the game of poker (which I suggest you should unless you enjoy losing money.) Most importantly, this book gives me the confidence to play within my bankroll because it helps me understand that poker skill is not some intangible, magical ability that some people were just born with. Anyone can be a winner if you have disicipline and adhere to Sklansky's principles contained in this book.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:15 AM

No matter what type of poker you play, this book should be the second book you read.

Behind SuperSystem this is the greatest poker book ever written. Buy it, read it, reread it, love it. I've personally worn the cover off of mine.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:37 AM

To requote the last poster.
This is the most important book ever written once you`ve started playing ANY form of poker.
Get the basic ideas of play then delve deeply into this masterpiece.

jim grass
Old 10-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Default are you serious?

lautzutao,
you wrote;
"Behind SuperSystem this is the greatest poker book ever written." i will say that ss was a very important book for the poker world. however, as a book, importance aside, it is a poor poker book. it is not comprehensive, poorly written, and often incorrect.

as i wrote above about theory of poker;
"I think it is the top general poker book of all time. General poker concepts that you must know. A great book.

It covers pot odds, implied odds, betting for value, hand reading (thinking about your opponents hands, thinking about what your opponents thinks of your hand), counting outs, a little game theory, position, reasons for raising, loose games, bluffing, semi bluffing, "fundamental theorem of poker", structure, free cards, slowplaying, analzsis over the table, etc. More greneral theories and concepts covered in tremendous depth than you can imagine!

It elevates your game more then any other poker book. I reread it at least once a year."

i can not see how you can compare the information in the two books. maybe for the importance to the poker world i see it, but seriously, have you really read both?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:42 PM

What I took away from it:

Reverse imlied odds. I feel understanding this has helped my NL game a lot. Understanding the fundamental theory of poker. This has given me a completely different perspective on the game.

The most important chapter, however, is on game theory / optimal bluffing frequency. Fortunately, not too many people are intelligent enough to understand all of the implications of this chapter. I can't wait until the Mathematics of Poker comes out, because I have a feeling it will pick up where TOP left off.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM

yes,, but i think the math was right, because you are getting a great price.