Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Pocket 9\'s -- loose?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (17.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (27.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 43.50 BB

Was the flop raise laggy?

Did I miss a turn bet? The board was coordinated, 7 people were still in the pot. I had 10 outs to beat the flush. I (rightly or wrongly) assumed the made flush was already out there.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Pocket 9\'s -- loose?

I think you're call is fine. Don't know how many sane people could stomach reraising a scarey board like this and a 7-way pot.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:41 AM

With an overpair and a gutshot, I'd raise the flop too. (I don't have too much confidence in the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], though, since there are so many opponents.)

I think just calling on the turn is fine. A flush is possible, anyone with an 8 has a straight, and it's two bets to you. So you've got to figure you're drawing.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:42 AM

I don't think the flop raise is too loose. U have a gutshot but the primary function of this raise is to see where they are at. I call the reraise and check/fold the turn UI. The call when you hit your 9 was good. If I was in UTG or UTG+2, I might even three-bet on a draw here with a field of 5-6, strictly on the draw (risky). Calling is best from your position. River play is standard. Nice hand
Old 01-09-2005, 12:51 AM

I probably just call preflop, but the game I play has an influence on my PF choices. I tend to give up small edges to allow the field to limp in behind me with 99. Not saying it's the right play by any means.

I like calling this flop and raising the turn. Given that you raised the flop, I like the turn call. Prepare to cap the turn if you have more then 4 other people in the pot. You will fill up, what is it, 23% (??) of the time so you can push an edge there. By capping the turn, you also will have disguised your hand if you do fill up.

Brad
Old 01-09-2005, 12:54 AM

Nice pot and nice hand.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the comments.

One of those "perfect storm" type hands where everybody got a big piece and the river came in for me.

Results:
BB has 5c 7c (full house, fives full of sevens).
UTG has 7d Jd (flush, jack high).
UTG+2 has As 8h (straight, nine high).
Hero has 9c 9h (full house, nines full of fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 43.50 BB.