Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Headsup Vs. Nutjob - postflop strategy UI

Later I'm going to post some preflop hands vs. a guy who raises/caps EVERYthing preflop, but here, suppose you've decided to go in with Ace-high or a micro-pair (55-22).

The nutjob NEVER folds - you cannot bluff or semi-bluff. You bet or call strictly for value.

[He raises/caps anything on the first two streets, and bets out turn/river unless you cap the flop. In those cases, he may calldown with anything, and raises with marginal holdings (midpair, etc.)]

Now, if your Ace-high or micro pair is unimproved, does it make sense to call down to the river all the time? Some of the time? With what frequency?

Obviously, if there's significant improvement (you hit mid pair or better) you may bet/raise/3-bet/cap...but what about unimproved ace-high and micro-pairs? Check/call all the way?

How about unimproved king, queen or jack high?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Headsup Vs. Nutjob - postflop strategy UI

I've called down with Q-high before. I call a lot though.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:06 PM

When I isolate against a total maniac, I do so with the intention of getting to showdown unless the board is really bad (like four to a flush that I don't have or something like that). So in the situation you described, I hit the "call" key 3-times and go on to the next hand.

I'm not showing down Q-high or J-high, and I wouldn't be involved in the hand in the first place if that's what I had preflop. I'll occasionally show down something like an unimproved KQ though, again depending on the board.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:31 PM

A-high or a PP has to be an auto-cap PF and call down. K-high probably the same. Q-high you might benefit from keeping the pot small and folding occasionally postflop
Old 11-30-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I isolate against a total maniac, I do so with the intention of getting to showdown unless the board is really bad (like four to a flush that I don't have or something like that). So in the situation you described, I hit the "call" key 3-times and go on to the next hand.

I'm not showing down Q-high or J-high, and I wouldn't be involved in the hand in the first place if that's what I had preflop. I'll occasionally show down something like an unimproved KQ though, again depending on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems just about right, except that i might raise/cap the flop with my pp's, and see what he does on the turn, like the OP said, he will still lead the turn with marginal holdings and there we can fold some of the time, actually thinking about it now, im not sure which line i like better, cap flop, c/c, c/c, or call call call, im not sure if the bigger pots will compensate for when the guy has a pair of 7's with his J7o cap, hmmmmm
Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 PM

Something to think about. Double-paired boards.
JT:
If you are in the BB and maniac raises and it's folded to you, you'd call, right?

I did some quick calculations and with a board like
2KK99 (w/ no flush possible), it appears to make sense to c/c all the way with JT. The preflop is, in my mind, the only possible place to fold this hand.

(raising the flop is -EV)

On the river, you're getting like 6:1 to call and the only things that can beat you are 2x,Qx,Kx,Ax, 22, or AA-TT.

Even with 2KK66, the range of things that can beat you is small enough to warrant a call.