Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: reason to argue for ID in the US?

I would not be opposed to adding some form of intelligent design to high school science books as long as it was presented from a scientific rather than religious point of view and it did not replace evolution. The problem is that some people want to replace evolution with Biblical creation stories (I went to a private school that did this).
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Read the Amicus Curiae briefs and last years SCOTUS decision for Hiibel v. Nevada to dispel your first assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're talking about intelligent design, not identification. But I'm not really sure, the OP was pretty vague.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your sarcasm detector is broken
Old 11-09-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not be opposed to adding some form of intelligent design to high school science books as long as it was presented from a scientific rather than religious point of view and it did not replace evolution. The problem is that some people want to replace evolution with Biblical creation stories (I went to a private school that did this).

[/ QUOTE ]

The "problem," IMO, is neither side being interested in allowing open discussion of the other. I believe in God. I believe in the Bible and understand the potential problems in taking it completely as an absolute and infallible document. Biblical scholars, to my knowledge, have never been able to completely agree on a "final" interpretation.

I accept most of what science presents as the case for evolution. I also see how Intelligent Design could explain the unbelievable complexities of earth and all the assorted life on the planet. And the rest of the universe? I don't see it as the result of a random happening. "The Big Bang" never made complete sense to me.

My vote is for all schools to find a way to enlighten all kids about all sides of the coin. Limited education produces limited students. We don't need any more people with limited, narrow points of view/understanding. Lord knows the streets runneth over now.

If parents feel so strongly about the issue, they should try home schooling. Or a private school. Public schools are just that, dammit. Public. That means everyone. Period.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Because the quicker and more effective the spread of ID in the US the more likely ..."

[/ QUOTE ]
My first thought was some new venereal disease -- so I Googled it.

At least it's not contagious, thank God.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was sugested I cross post here from the philosophy forum:

"Because the quicker and more effective the spread of ID in the US the more likely the US economy will decline as it slips into a mini-dark age and so the rest of the more rational world will propsper more than otherwise."

[/ QUOTE ]

I will humbly submit the followin:
a. Not realizing that life evolved has almost no impact on a person's capacity to perform most jobs.
b. Not understanding economics and global trade is far more likely to have negative economic effects.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ID=creationsism with a fancy new label to skirt the church/state issue.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Yes, it is a form of creationism, but it allows for different ideas of what god is and how the universe opperates. I am not saying that the theory is correct, only that it is worth exploring.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is a form of creationism, but it allows for different ideas of what god is and how the universe opperates. I am not saying that the theory is correct, only that it is worth exploring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In religion class, I would agree. But to say ID is more than creationism 2.0 is horse pucky.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "problem," IMO, is neither side being interested in allowing open discussion of the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is another problem. Science should not be closed to rational discussion. If there is a solid scientific argument for ID then students should be allowed to hear it. At the same time, we should not be willing to allow our science texts to be overrun by religious dogma.
[ QUOTE ]
Biblical scholars, to my knowledge, have never been able to completely agree on a "final" interpretation.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is an excellent point. I have heard some say that the word "day" in the creation story would be more accurately translated as "period of time". I have heard others say that since a day is as a thousand years to God then creation must have happened in 6,000 years (this interpretation sounds terrible to me). Regardless, the Bible should not be used as scientific evidence any more than the Koran or the Kabala. If religious texts have any place in public classrooms then Classical Literature, not Earth Science, would be that place.