Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Default My Leak!

I have found a huge leak in my game that has been costing me large amounts of money. Just about every time I get a 1 card straight I end up betting, getting raised and calling in hopes to split but showing down against a flush/higher straight or something.

Maybe its just villian dependant, but do you guys have a certain strategy for playing these 1 card straights? (what I mean is say you have J3 and board is 9 10 Q K)

Check/call with them against solid opponents instead of betting for value?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: My Leak!

[ QUOTE ]
I have found a huge leak in my game that has been costing me large amounts of money. Just about every time I get a 1 card straight I end up betting, getting raised and calling in hopes to split but showing down against a flush/higher straight or something.

Maybe its just villian dependant, but do you guys have a certain strategy for playing these 1 card straights? (what I mean is say you have J3 and board is 9 10 Q K)

Check/call with them against solid opponents instead of betting for value?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not that great, but to me, when you have a high-end straight like that, most people are more willing to play an Ace/Jack, or Jack with a high kicker. With J3, you have a very small kicker. I also play stronger if I have the upper end of a straight 78 on 3456, compared to 34 on 5678. Someone could easily have 9-x. I hope I made that clear.

And normally if I'm not sure, I try to go to the showdown for as cheap as possible
Old 12-08-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: My Leak!

Never bet with the expectation that you will chop. Calling a bet with this expectation is fine if the pot is large in relation to the bet or is multiway.

The higher the 4-card straight the less likely I am to make more than a value bet. If I have a 6 on a 2345K board, I make a nice 3/4 pot bet. If I have an 8 on a 9TJQ2 board I am folding to a large bet.