Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 05:38 PM

Default i lay down the nuts, 6 handed 1-2

and by the nuts, i mean the nut no pair.

TAG villain raises UTG. He has been mostly solid, may have gotten tricky once with me but i did not call down.

I 3 bet in the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and he caps.

($900) flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. check, bet, call.

($1100) turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. check, bet, call.

($1500) river 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] check, bet, fold.

ugh. Thought are appreciated.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: i lay down the nuts, 6 handed 1-2

I have no idea what hand range villain has but isnt it somewhat likely he has your hand. Where I play he would only cap AQ,JJ+ so with that hand range you have 15% equity. That means its a call.

Now how likely is villain to check behind with AK? At my level they do this around 50% of the time. That swings it to a fold.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:51 PM

Most often I'd probably just c/f the turn, after c/c the flop. If I had reason to suspect the villain was being tricky, I would try to make a move, perhaps by c/r the turn. But I don't like the idea of just c/c the turn.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most often I'd probably just c/f the turn, after c/c the flop. If I had reason to suspect the villain was being tricky, I would try to make a move, perhaps by c/r the turn. But I don't like the idea of just c/c the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't c/f the turn with a gutshot + nut FD.

I really like a turn c/r here. We have a bazillion outs, and now we are the aggressor and can bet the river to fold out his AK, which will certainly call the turn c/r but possibly not a river bet. If he's got a PP he's not going anywhere, but it's worth fighting for this pretty big pot when we have so many outs to fall back on.

Surf

edit: another thing is that AA/KK will be hard-pressed to 3bet you on this turn, which is great as it saves us from having to call a 3rd bet and fold UI, instead we get to use that 3rd bet to bluff the river and hopefully fold out AK.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:57 PM

Oops, surf. Read too fast and didn't even notice the flush draw. You're right, can't fold.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:02 PM

i'd play it the same and wouldn't think twice about it. i'm getting the feeling that maybe i shouldn't...?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: another thing is that AA/KK will be hard-pressed to 3bet you on this turn, which is great as it saves us from having to call a 3rd bet and fold UI, instead we get to use that 3rd bet to bluff the river and hopefully fold out AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he is never folding 88-TT, and putting in 3 bets to try to win this pot seems like an awful lot considering he is only folding if we are tying. (i.e. I am only bluffing at half the pot because he will very very likely check with AK on the end)
Old 11-25-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he is never folding 88-TT, and putting in 3 bets to try to win this pot seems like an awful lot considering he is only folding if we are tying. (i.e. I am only bluffing at half the pot because he will very very likely check with AK on the end)

[/ QUOTE ]

hm. Good point. I like the way you played it then. Ugh, it sucks to have to do it that way, but I think you are right and if he won't fold those pairs then the c/r-bet line won't have enough value.

Surf
Old 11-25-2005, 06:56 PM

hmm i wonder though how often he'd have to fold 88-TT for a turn c/r to be correct if his range is 88+ AQ+.

if anyone wanted to do the math, that would be cool.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm i wonder though how often he'd have to fold 88-TT for a turn c/r to be correct if his range is 88+ AQ+.

if anyone wanted to do the math, that would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, but i'm tired and lazy right now and need to get back to playing. Maybe i'll do it later.

Surf