Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Default How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistry?

Inspired by all the physics posts, what percent of people do you think are unaware of fundamental chemistry and physics concepts that rule our world? The theory of relativity is a huge one. If you find a random person on the street and tell them that the speed of light is constant no matter how fast you are going and time changes depending on how fast you go, I think it would blow their mind. What about atoms? How many people do you think are unaware of atoms?

It makes me very sad that we've advanced this far but the majority of people don't know [censored] about it.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistry?

I'm surprised by how many people have no concept of bankroll management.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistry?

Hell, I have trouble getting correct change from cashiers...
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM

i'm aware of all those concepts...but i never use them in everyday life. not really all that important i dont think. definately doesn't make me sad if other people don't use them or even know about them.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

I'd say pretty much everyone who didn't take these classes beyond a high school level. And I think most non-science majors don't have to take any of these classes in college. So in short, pretty much everyone [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistr

[ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised by how many people have no concept of bankroll management.

[/ QUOTE ]Even the best bankroll management won't make you a winner.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM

I would say most high school graduates are unaware of this [ QUOTE ]
The theory of relativity is a huge one. If you find a random person on the street and tell them that the speed of light is constant no matter how fast you are going and time changes depending on how fast you go, I think it would blow their mind.

[/ QUOTE ] I think they wouldn't be able to tell you much about even relative velocity but I'm sure they would understand it if you explained it to them . Most college kids and people that graduate from college are aware of that light having the same speed regardless of the reference frame however they have no clue what it means or what any of the implications of it are. I don't know how many people have been to college in the US or world but I would say close to 65% of them are somewhat aware about this. That number plus another 5-10% of the people that never went to college then I think that would be a reasonable answer. Concerning atoms, I would say 80% of population over 18
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM

90% or more. Probably more.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: How many people do you think are unaware of basic physics/chemistr

>95% have no clue

then don't forget, you have to factor in the people that have some clue, but are usually wrong
Old 11-23-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say pretty much everyone who didn't take these classes beyond a high school level. And I think most non-science majors don't have to take any of these classes in college. So in short, pretty much everyone

[/ QUOTE ]
But concerning the existence of atoms? Come on, this is middle school science. I think most americans could tell you what an atom is. Hell, i bet you could grab most bums (when sober) ask them what an atom is and they would tell you "its that really small [censored] that everything is made of."