Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Image play when outcome is assured

Hypothetical situation...

You are on the button with a hand like Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a NL $2/$5 game. The game is relatively tight and PF raising standards aren't too terribly tight as most people are generally taking pots down to a flop bet. All three players have stacks around $550.

UTG raises to $20, MP calls, you call, three see the flop.

Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG bets $30, MP folds, you make it $90, UTG calls.
(Pot = $247)

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks, you bet $125, UTG raises to $300. When he raises, he does so after having been sitting back in his chair fairly relaxed, and his raise is done with a noticeable shake. You put him on a strong hand. He may have QQ, but more likely has a hand like AJ or maybe even 33 and you have him beat.

You have $140 left after a call of his raise. You feel positive that he'll bet the remainder of your stack on the river if you simply call, and even if he doesn't, you'll move it in and feel certain he'll call, and you'll do this regardless of what card comes off on the river. Bottom line, no matter what, the money's going into the middle.

Who advocates calling and letting him move in on the river, vs. just getting the money in now?

I raise the question cause a similar situation came up with me recently, and I was actually contemplating both sides. Obviously you like your money going in ASAP. But I was also intregued at the possibility of letting him do the betting, to manipulate my image at the table as this was very early in the session. Would love to hear thoughts on this particular example. Also, does your opinion change if you have the virtually unbreakable nuts (i.e. QJ with a QJ3 flop and Q turn)?

- C -
Old 06-18-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Image play when outcome is assured

not having that much left after the turn raise, I'm not sure what it does for your image.

are you saying that later on in a similar situation you'll move in here with a more marginal hand and expect a fold from a hand like AJ due to them seeing that you are capable of moving in with the nuts or near nuts here?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Image play when outcome is assured

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what it does for your image.

[/ QUOTE ]dont worry the poster has no idea either.... obviously you just stick the rest in... if you werent playing with retards they would of just put allin in the first place if they were gonna raise.