Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: The truth shall set you free

Dead was right, you need to work on your reading comprehension. For the last time, I didnt call the past misdeeds of the past misunderstandings! I was talking about your lack of understanding of history.

I have serious doubts about your serious study of the Church's past, esp. given your take on the Church during WWII.

And the fact that you think you can be Catholic and not support the Vatican blows my mind. You would think one that went to parochial school and was CAtholic as you said would know better than this.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: The truth shall set you free

Don't waste your energy. He's obviously a Hitchens fan.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Grumpy response

[ QUOTE ]
1. What are the structural similarities that you are referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Briefly, the notion of unalterable holy texts, from which all wisdom flows; the heterodoxy of those texts (in M/L, historical Determinism "wrote" it, while in mon.rel. like Christ., Yahveh was gravious enough to hand it over to us); the strict interpretation by whichever human has power (i.e. Stalin over Trotsky; or Vatican over Copts, Aryans, and other "heretics"); the inclusionary/exclusionary rules of participation; the interpretation of all human history through the ideology's "analytical tools" (material dialectics in one, enlightnent by the Holy Spirit in the other); anointed and approved messengers and interpreters of the Truth (priests, Politburo); etc.

To borrow a line from Fawlty Towers, "There is enough material there for an entire conference".

[ QUOTE ]
2. Dont you think it is a bit artificial to separate the teachings of the Church away from it for the purposes of comparison? If not, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

My religion's teachings are strictly humanitarian. You would not find anything to disagree with in outr teachings! I guarantee that.

We also have a little code of conduct whereby we kill anyone who dares leave the religion. Not to worry. It's just necessary in order to better spread the religion's message. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Like I said, sometimes the means are the end.