Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 07:46 PM

Default An AK late play

An interesting hand I ran into over the weekend...

On the button in a weekend 6/12 at Borgata, you're dealt AKs. At this table, there are only a couple solid players...one to your right, one in early position. Everyone else is horribly weak.

Action: UTG folds, +1 calls, +2 calls, +3 calls, +4 folds, CO+2 calls, +1 calls, CO calls (solid), you raise, SB folds, BB and all others call for eight players seeing a flop.

Flop: K83r
Checked to you. You bet, BB folds, +1 folds, +2 calls, fold, fold, CO+1 calls, CO check raises.

Your action, 3 opponents in the pot and one to call, 21 small bets in the pot after a check raise by a solid player.

What do you do here, and why?

- C -
Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: An AK late play

Normally, that check-raise by a solid player is either pumping a draw for value or pumping a big made hand for value. This board is as drawless as they come, so you have to give CO credit for something, given your read. What does CO raise with pre-flop? Would he raise w/ KQ, 88 multiway? Would he play K8s or K3s? Would he get crazy w/ KJs knowing that you can raise for the team and get isolation? Would he play a set like this, or wait for the turn?

This is a nice pot, so I still 3-bet here and try to get isolation w/ CO. If CO caps, I'd consider calling down unimproved from there, betting if checked to.

Jon
Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 PM

The CO didn't raise preflop, Hero did. CO LP limped then called the raise.

I give him credit for 88 or 33, maybe K8s, but I don't think that hand check-raises you.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The CO didn't raise preflop, Hero did

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. What he raises with in this spot helps you thin the range of hands that he limps with.

Jon
Old 01-12-2005, 09:27 PM

CO being solid would definitely raise with AA-JJ, probably TT, definitely AK, probably AQs, AJs, maybe KQs...likely raising with the Miller book's hands. CO isn't afraid to raise PF into a field with the big hands, isn't afraid to play strong, will bet and raise for value and protection...he's a very solid player.

- Chris