Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Is o8 a limpers game?

I'm a HE player, I wait for a good hand, then I raise PF, that's what I do.

At limit o8 tables though, it seems like I'm the only one raising PF, why is this?

Is raising PF less common in o8 because it's impossible to have a made hand pf or what?

And more importantly than whether it's common or not, is whether it's the correct approach?

It seems to me that if I have a good hand, which I believe is the best hand, I have to raise it up, no?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Is o8 a limpers game?

"At limit o8 tables though, it seems like I'm the only one raising PF, why is this?"

Because most low limit players are loose passive.

"is whether it's the correct approach?"

Depends on the situation, and what you hope to accomplish with the raise. Don't just raise because you have a good hand. Raising at low limits is usually either to build to pot or to knock people out of the pot to get it shorthanded.

Check out O8poker, click on "strategy" then "preflop raising".
Old 09-12-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame that what he writes is complete junk. You never raise AA4x preflop 'to eliminate opponents'. Jesus, that's just terrible advice. If I raise it and get 9 callers, i'm going to be extremely pleased. Only read it if you want to be utterly confounded by pointless advice.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote: "Shame that what he writes is complete junk. You never raise AA4x preflop 'to eliminate opponents'. Jesus, that's just terrible advice. If I raise it and get 9 callers, i'm going to be extremely pleased. Only read it if you want to be utterly confounded by pointless advice"

The advice is correct, you raise with that hand to eliminate people if you can't eliminate people there's no reason to raise with that hand. AA in omaha 8 with 9 callers is not that strong, this is not hold em. However, I want to play in a game where UTG raises and everyone calls.

Back to the OP, the reason why many people limp in is becuase they have hand that plays better multi way and don't want people to fold.
A 2 3 8, wants A 3 and 2 3 hands to call not fold.
If raising doesn't eliminate any players then go ahead and raise with this hand as the first one in.
In some games I will raise many times preflop and others I limp and frequently reraise.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:49 PM

I think it's that time of the month for Ribbo.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame that what he writes is complete junk. You never raise AA4x preflop 'to eliminate opponents'. Jesus, that's just terrible advice. If I raise it and get 9 callers, i'm going to be extremely pleased. Only read it if you want to be utterly confounded by pointless advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ribbo is truly a master in the Art of Being a Troll.

Since his post is so instructive, let’s break it down to see why it’s so good.

1. He offers no competing argument. Every good Troll knows you don’t want to offer your own insight in a Troll-post. This just lets the original poster reply based on substantive argument, and opens yourself up to being wrong. Ribbo avoids this common trap, by sticking with the every popular, “Nyah, nyah, you’re a poopyhead” logic. Classic.

2. Tone of superiority. This is almost mandatory. Good trolls know you need to convey that you are somehow better than everyone else.

3. Personal attacks. This is closely related to the first two points. After all, if you’re not offering logic or alternatives, you’ve got to stir the pot somehow. Make sure you don’t use neutral words like ‘disagree’ when a more inflammatory one like ‘junk’ is available.

4. Mis-direction and exaggeration. This one is more subtle, but its clear that Ribbo read the original article then fixated on one small part to try and find fault with – the rationale behind raising (not the action of raising mind you, just the rationale!), missing the more important point the article makes – that determining your preflop raising objective is key.

5. The only real slip he makes is letting his petty jealousy show through. Reading that others like o8poker.com makes his penis feel small, so he’s got to compensate for this. But his envy is a little too obvious here. However, he only had 5 sentences to work with and he’s got lots of Trolling still to do today. Overall, good work.

--Greg
www.o8poker.com
Old 09-12-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Defending Ribbo

I play ALOT more PL than limit now, and it is my impression that Ribbo does too. That being said. I somewhat agree with his advice. I don't think you raise pre-flop in limit Omaha to eliminate opponents, you raise for value. In limit, when I enter a pot, I want it to be large, and I want a hand that can become the nuts. AA4x may not be the best example of such a hand, but that isn't really the issue.

I'm not sure why everyone decided to pile on him here for his style of writing. He posted a different opinion, I don't think it was a personal attack. I generally find that when he posts in one of these threads it is with the intention of helping the player, and most often good concise advice.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Defending Ribbo

I'm not taking sides, because I'm sick enough to like both of you.

But in O8, I never think to myself, "I'm raising to eliminate opponents." I don't ever consider schooling in O8, in, fact, I always feel 'the more, the merrier.'

Now, had you said to raise so that you could use that A4 poor low to eliminate other, better low cards, like 23, that wanted to see a cheap flop, I could have gotten behind that statement easily.

Just my opinion, and I'm still playing the penny games, FWIW.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2005, 08:45 PM

How about raising to isolate a poor opponent...

Or maybe to isolate the blinds who likely have a worse hands and have to play out of position.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why everyone decided to pile on him here for his style of writing. He posted a different opinion, I don't think it was a personal attack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Three out of the five sentences in his reply where the following:

1. Shame that what he writes is complete junk.
2. Jesus, that's just terrible advice.
3. Only read it if you want to be utterly confounded by pointless advice.

Now, I am far from an expert on Omaha, and Ribbo's opinions may very well be correct. I don't know, since I am still learning.

But there's an old saying that goes something like "you can catch more flies with honey than by stepping on their neck and spitting in their face." Or something like that.