Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 AM

Default flopped set after LRR and crazy flop action

no reads
whats my plan on the turn, am i worried about giving away free cards, or should i just let them keep going?

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (20.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (16.00 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ...
Old 10-15-2005, 02:29 AM

Default Re: flopped set after LRR and crazy flop action

[ QUOTE ]
no reads
whats my plan on the turn, am i worried about giving away free cards, or should i just let them keep going?

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (20.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (16.00 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero ...

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought this question is kind of simple, but I guess it's really not.

I'm checking the turn. If UTG+2 bets and mp2 calls Ill CR, if UTG+2 bets and MP2 raises Ill just call hoping for UTG+2 to 3bet. If MP2 just calls the 3bet I'll cap the turn.

In pots like this if they cap the turn between themselves they will both be way gunshy on the river. Based mostly on feel I may donkbet the river, most players balls are gone here unless they have the absolute nuts. Also I really don't want to get 3bet on the river if I CR it. So most of the time I'll just donkbet. If you donkbet the river and it comes back 2 bets to you I'll obviously call but expect to be beaten.

If I donkbet the river and MP2 capped the turn, and now raises the river I'll just call.

I have to admit though that I am not very confident im my advice for this hand. The situation just doesn't happen that often.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:42 AM

I am folding this facing the cap PF. Very often the limp/3bet is KK or AA, and you're way behind. Nothing wrong with the first call, but you're out of position for the rest of the hand with garbage if you don't flop a set, and even if you do it often won't hold up in this situation.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:46 AM

I'm with Alex's plan of action. I think there's a less than 0% chance that this turn gets checked through, so I'm more than content to let one of them put in the first bet for me.

I am a little worried about MP2's hand, though...absent a read that he'd go crazy with a flush draw, this looks a lot like set over set. Still, I want at least 2 bets going in on the turn; if I end up check/raising a bet from MP2 &amp; he 3-bets, I go into calldown mode.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am folding this facing the cap PF. Very often the limp/3bet is KK or AA, and you're way behind. Nothing wrong with the first call, but you're out of position for the rest of the hand with garbage if you don't flop a set, and even if you do it often won't hold up in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you fold preflop with a pp getting 8-1 you just don't get poker.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am folding this facing the cap PF. Very often the limp/3bet is KK or AA, and you're way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

The action on the flop is more than enough justification for calling the second time preflop. Folding a pocket pair preflop would be a pretty significant mistake.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a less than 0% chance that this turn gets checked through

[/ QUOTE ]

so i check, its checked through

river: blank

i bet, LRRer raises, capper folds, i 3-bet, LRR calls and shows AA, i win a big ass pot
Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a less than 0% chance that this turn gets checked through

[/ QUOTE ]

so i check, its checked through

river: blank

i bet, LRRer raises, capper folds, i 3-bet, LRR calls and shows AA, i win a big ass pot

[/ QUOTE ]

that kinds sucks that they both shut down on that nothing card.

as it played out, i'd c/r both of their dumbass on that particular turn card. If your c/3 bet gets capped, I just c/call the river.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so i check, its checked through...LRR calls and shows AA

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh.

Out-FPS'd by the guy with pocket aces. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I still like checking the turn with the intention of raising, tho--it boggles my mind that AA would check that turn when you've done nothing but play your hand like a flush draw.