Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 01:40 AM

Default was this played poorly?

Just sat down (virtually) at 1/2 party so I really have no read on the table.

I am on the button and am dealt KK

MP1, MP2 call, folded to me, I raise, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 and 2 call.

Flop: 995 rainbow

BB bets, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, I raise, BB re-raises, MP1 calls, I call.

Turn: A

BB bets, MP folds, I call

River: A

BB bets, I call

results to follow

After the re-raise on the flop I felt that I was behind but didn't feel that this was a hand I could get away from. Was calling here in any way justified and if not where should I have released the hand?

Would raising the turn/river be a good idea?

Old 05-21-2003, 01:43 AM

Default results

I wrote in another forum that disecting winning hands is as valuable as losing ones and this is a case where I feel that despite not playing particularly well, I won.

BB turned over 53 suited and my KK AA took the pot.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:14 AM

Default Re: was this played poorly?

I would have folded on the turn. I won't say the BB's play was bad, because he would have caused me to fold the best hand. It sure was aggressive, though! Glad you won, and you also got some good info on how this person plays.

Admit it, you were totally surprised to win this one!
Old 05-21-2003, 09:18 AM

Most people wouldn't bet out like the BB did if they flopped trips. But often they will bet out just like he did when they pair the other card.

What I don't understand is how he could continue his bluff on the river. Obviously you weren't afraid of him having a nine, and there was no reason to believe he would have an ace either. I'm not sure what he was trying to make you think he had.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:21 AM

Personally I would have capped the flop because I want control. You're on the button and you very well may have the best hand.

My thinking would be if someone comes out betting the turn or betting and raising that they would have the goods. To a bet I call to a bet and raise I fold on the turn. My grand plan would be to make my aggression make them passive so I can see the free one on the turn.

Once the AA hits you are dust without a doubt.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:13 AM

Against many opponents, this betting pattern means without question that your opponent has a 5, not a 9. Once you are headsup on the turn, I think just calling is probably best because, if ahead, your opponent is drawing nearly dead. Let him keep betting into you. Raising the river would be a simply horrible play.... there is no hand that can reasonably call your raise that you beat.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:35 AM

"Personally I would have capped the flop because I want control. You're on the button and you very well may have the best hand."

Definitely true...KK may be the best hand and I think is probably the best hand...especially on lower limits, most people who flop trips in that situation will not come that alive from early pos like that...most go for the check-raise or will wait till the turn. I put him on a mid to high pair (77-TT, excluding 99 obviously)

"Once the AA hits you are dust without a doubt."
Given above though, A5 is really the only other hand you have to worry about. I think you're actually probably ahead at this point, although the fact that he's ramming it the whole way would worry me. Lot depends on your read of the opponent. That's why a cap on the flop is probably so important. If he comes out firing on the turn, then you can probably lay it down with more confidence.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:37 AM

I can't think of a reason not to cap the flop.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:41 AM

There are a lot of hands BB could check-three bet with on the flop, including trip 9's, a pair of 5's, and second pair / overpair (66-88, TT-JJ). Most players at these limits will get too tricky with trips, so it is more likely that he has either a pair of 5's or a pocket pair. The Ace on the turn shouldn't scare you at all once it is heads-up. The only way it helps your opponent is if he has A5 or A9. The Ace on the river actually makes it even more likely that your hand is best. Good call down.

-- Homer

edit: I just noticed that BB didn't check-threebet, he actually bet out then three-bet. This makes it even more likely that he has a pocket pair >=66.