Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Two Big Blind Hands

I was just wondering if I played these hands too aggressively from the blinds, and whether I can save a bet or two by playing similar situations differently.

Hand 1: I flop TPNK, and have no reads on villain in SB. Unsure about whether the hand is worth playing on the flop, although the bet from the SB gives me a good opportunity to raise and defend it. Also, the river- take the free showdown perhaps?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Hand 2: I get overexcited defending my big blind from SB raise with K9o. Is this hand too weak (pf) to reraise with here -especially as i have no reads on SB yet? The turn -take the free card?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Two Big Blind Hands

Hand 1: I don't bet the river. Just about any T beats you and no better hand is folding.

Hand 2: This play seems totally dependant on your read of SB.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:48 PM

first hand is fine

second hand i would rarely 3bet with this hand and never without a read i dont think. id rather 3bet with A7 than K9 here. And without a read I dont think we can be totally certain this is a blind steal...he could have a hand. Post flop is fine.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: I don't bet the river. Just about any T beats you and no better hand is folding.

Hand 2: This play seems totally dependant on your read of SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. If this guy knows how to fold, there may be some value in a turn bet from fold equity, but after capping preflop, and on a flop of this texture, I think that this guy is here to the end. I lean towards the free card against typical opponents, but it very much depends on your read.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:24 AM

1st hand: Fine except I agree you should take a free showdown, no Tx is folding here (but a busted flush draw that you already have beaten will).

2nd hand:I don't like the 3 bet preflop. Like all other streets. I would be inclined not to take the free card as you have a reaonable chance of taking the pot here and it sets you up for the free showdown which I would take although some (not many) 8's and 10's will fold to a bet here.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 AM

1st hand: flop, turn fine. I think I check behind on the river. he's not calling &gt;50% of the time with something you beat.

2nd hand: I like your pf 3bet because he could be trying to steal, it's HU, and you'll have position on him. I like it more with a read that sb is LAG and with a better hand than K9, but oh well. take the free card on the turn. after a pf cap, you're c/r here too often.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:17 AM

Primer on Pairs and suited connectors

Meant to post this as well. Has some relevant info.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 AM

Hand 1: Perfect.

Hand 2: Instead of 3-betting preflop, consider just calling the raise and then raising his bet on every flop. This line lets you take the initiative without fear of a c/r on the flop.

Vets- What's a good example of not wanting the initiative that's not the standard WA/WB A line? (Not a quiz/test, I really want to know.)
Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 AM

You really think he has T5, 55, or 77-99 there often enough compared to the times he has T4, or T8+? Maybe 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

We beat:
T5 - 8 hands
55, 77-99 - 6 hands each, 24 hands total
2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (not 2 pair) - 8 hands

40 hands we beat that might call.

Beat us:
Bigger T: 7 of them, 8 hands each, that's 56 hands, but KT and AT are unlikely, given the lack of a 3bet.
T4 - 6 ways

In order to make this a value bet, he's going to have to start calling w/ A high after a busted flush draw, and I have assumed that he's aggressive enough to have raised any two pair or set by the turn. I don't think there's quite enough value here to bet. T9, this would be a clear bet.

As for your question to the vets, I guess the answer would be any time you are drawing against someone who won't fold. The reason why you want initiative in the first place is to get the other guy to fold. If you're holding top set, you really don't mind if your opponent is the one who puts in the last bet (cap) on the flop with his AA. I'd think you'd even want him to have the initiative so that he'll bet and allow you to raise. If the other guy doesn't fold and I don't have a hand that can win at showdown, then I don't want to be the one putting bets in the middle and allowing him to raise if he feels inclined. It's a hypothetical opponent, sure, but it describes a fair number of micros opponents.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:52 AM

Also, why are you more willing to let yourself get 3bet than to let yourself be check/raised?