Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: From the Text Book: HAND READING

[ QUOTE ]
Too many people picking very obvious hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what people should be picking?

If the answer is something completely unexpected, what kind of a hand reading exercise is that?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Button has AQ, KQs, or QQ. QQ would suck, but I see AQ as a more likely holding. So I'll guess AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ is actually a less likely holding than KQ, given that hero holds AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It's just that the way the hand was played, it seemed like it was AQ. But statistically, you're right of course ...
Old 08-02-2005, 06:35 PM

I am guessing QJs, maybe Q6 for an inside str8 draw... cold call the flop though... I don't think he has a set... no draws why push anyone out (although some don't think of that)... I say QJs (thats why the cold calling thinking he is ahead) and staying in to see the flop
Old 08-02-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad dumb ox is having a go, but you guys suck. Too many people picking very obvious hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is pocket elevens.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:59 PM

I think if anything, this exercise at least shows one of the holes in many people's games; you don't put people on exact hands, you put them on a range and then play the hand according to that. Against an unknown you can't say that he has AQ or 77 because that is too limited and you may play it completely wrong. Hand reading, to me at least, does not include narrowing the villian down to anything specific, but merely figuring out the range so as to play the most +EV when the situation arises.

In this case I would say that an unknowns range could be AQo, AQs, KQo, KQs, QQ, 33, 44, 77, 56s. Now there could also be some crazy two pair or he could be a LAG with next to nothing so I will say that they just cancel each other out. In this case, playing against this range we should call down after being raised on the turn. We could say he has AQ, but then we 3bet and when it gets capped what do we do? We could say he has 77 and fold, but this is a big pot to fold an overpair in. Instead, we should look at most of the logical choices and conclude that our hand isn't strong enough to 3bet because we want to see a showdown and it isn't bad enough to fold. For these reasons we should be calling down after the turn raise.

Maybe I actually got this all wrong and naphand actually just wanted me to guess a specific hand, but in real games this should be the general thought process, using the information provided to make a range [which could get more narrow as the hand unravels]. This post was too long. The End.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 PM

-blind response-

this looks more like KK or AA than anything else to me. I don't think a tight button will cc 33 or 44, but he could possibly try to slowplay a monster pair in order to get action postflop.

I can't see 33, 44, 77, A2 or A5 taking this line preflop.

how'd I do? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 08:53 PM

Emmit is right. Button is unknown so he can have quite a range of hands...Im not a big fan of putting him on AQ (obvious reasons), KQ...etc.

He either has 33, 44 or 56s, QQ is possible if he's an idiot...or if he's a retard, that forgot about your EP LRR, he has some crazy ass two pair with a Q in it, such as Q3, Q4...etc.

The way he played it, he's definitly strong here...he has to know (if he has a brain) that at the least, u have AQ or better here.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 PM

I really think an unknown can beat TP with that turn raise over 75% of the time.

-d
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think an unknown can beat TP with that turn raise over 75% of the time.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I used the example of AQ, he has to atleast be able to beat AQ here.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 PM

Pocket sevens.
Closed Thread