Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: work evaluation having to rate co-wokers ?

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like a race to the bottom. Be sure to degrade others before they degrade you, and help the company document reasons for firing the workers someone in management doesn't like, or with higher than average wages. I don't like this a bit. You're being asked to do management's dirty work for them. They already know who they're going to give raises or promotions or bonuses, and are very unlikely to want any of your input on that. However, they can get mileage out of competitive backstabbing and rumor mongering.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is totally different. In fact, I think it's much more likely to have competitive backstabbing when people are not accountable for their assessments.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This way you come off as genuine and you will be using management to weed out your stiffest competition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless management has half a brain, in which case they'll read Gorie's glowing reviews of the office idiots and think she's one of them.

These things aren't a big deal. Just be as forgettable as you can when reviewing your coworkers.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:06 PM

Competitive backstabbing is the norm in nearly every work environment in which it is even conceivably profitable to a single person there. All it takes is one to start the chain, or the fear that one might start it up, to call forth preemptive strikes among the rest like falling dominos.

Divide and conquer. Management loves it, and it often gets dumped worshipfully at their door with little to no effort on their part. The race to the bottom is the norm.

If people are accountable for their assessments to their peers, there may be a greater chance of something positive coming out of what is basically an invitation to backstab and try to make yourself shine in comparison to others, combined with a high-stakes popularity contest.

I don't think these things will necessarily be evaluated fairly for the most part, or that is necessarily their intended purpose or main benefit to management.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:08 PM

I agree. This is a sniveling weasel contest in large part, and to think management isn't looking for that and recognizing it when they see it is very naive. Even the biggest arseholes aren't necessarily stupid.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:21 PM

Also, another trick is they get you to say what you think needs improving about yourself, and then use this to justify not giving you a raise.

Bugger the wankers, I say!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:23 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

here it is...

lame.
what's even more retarded is out of that list the one i work most with, is my boss. i'd give everyone 10's but him, just to bug him - except for that i know he'd have a meeting with me demanding the "pacifics" as to why i scored him the way i did.

also, there is really no "moving up" in this company. it's a stinkin' photo lab.

who am i to rate someone on most of these things ? i don't pay attention to when people get to work, or how fast they do their work, quality, etc. he's the one who knows these things. i don't get it.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:35 PM

That's the worst. When there's really nowhere to go and nothing to be done, but the management just wants to sweat the workers and make them fearful for their jobs. Good way to keep anyone from asking for a raise or speaking up when the boss jerks them around.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, another trick is they get you to say what you think needs improving about yourself, and then use this to justify not giving you a raise.

Bugger the wankers, I say!

[/ QUOTE ]

Diebitter knows the game.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:37 PM

That is ridiculous. Not even a comments box would could in theory be useful, but just sticking a bunch of numbers in? I would literally wipe my ass with that form.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

i'm not worried about not getting a raise. no one is getting a raise.
i just got a raise a couple weeks ago because i asked for one. then he gave someone else a raise as a result.
that's probably all the raises that will be given out for awhile, he already whines about payroll being too high.