Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM

Default kk hand turn decision

co is 35/17/1.88 over a fair number of hands. he seems to play solid enough after the flop in that he doesnt spew. his name is flushexpress if anyone recognizes.

co raises, hero 3bets kk on the button, utg calls.

flop is q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

check, bet, call.

turn is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

co checks, hero??????
Old 10-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: kk hand turn decision

I check behind and call a river bet unless it's a Jack of course. The turn card makes it unlikely that he can call with a worse hand.

Lost Wages
Old 10-04-2005, 04:32 PM

uggh. these spots are tricky but i'll take a shot. here are the facts as i see them.

1) you don't know if you're ahead but you might be.

2) getting check/raised here is the suck.

3) he's aggro enough that he might take a stab on the river with mp or a busted straight draw.

4) i don't think you're ahead very often if he calls you on the turn.

5) a free card might suck here but you really don't know if you're ahead or not.

checking behind and calling a river bet seems like a good idea to me.

thoughts?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind and call a river bet unless it's a Jack of course

[/ QUOTE ]

given the action is it likely that he will take a stab with anything less than an ace.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn card makes it unlikely that he can call with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

his range is huge here. he opened in the co. there are tons of worse hands he will call the turn with. do we really want to give free cards to qj, j10, kq, jj, k10, k9?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM

I would bet this mainly because I think worse hands call a lot and you are unlikely to be bluff/raised. If you are up against a player likely to bluff check/raise you a check is probably right (note that this player would likely bluff the river as well). Here I think you are missing value by checking. You're probably not gonna induce a bluff too much. Some might argue that you will induce a call, but I can't see very many hands that woul dcall the river that wouldn't call the turn. Most of his opening hands that have paired have outs. If he has 88 or something he's still not gonna call the river.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM

it's 2 handed on the turn? is there a problem withing betting and folding to a c/r?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's 2 handed on the turn? is there a problem withing betting and folding to a c/r?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the problem is hero just about has outs enough to see the river. I like checking behind also.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given the action is it likely that he will take a stab with anything less than an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you check when the Ace hits, I would certainly expect him to bet for value with a Queen at least and bluff sometimes as well.

[ QUOTE ]
his range is huge here. he opened in the co. there are tons of worse hands he will call the turn with. do we really want to give free cards to qj, j10, kq, jj, k10, k9?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not folding QJ, JT or JJ if you bet so giving a free card to those can't cost you the pot, only that portion of a bet that represents your equity. KQ, KT and K9 have 2 outs (4 more to chop) so they are little threat.

Also, remember that giving a free card is not nearly as dangerous when you may already be behind because it only hurts you when you were ahead and a card hits that beats you.

In addition, if he doesn't bet the river, you can bet and he will look you up with a lot of weak hands that would have folded to a turn bet.

Lost Wages