Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2004, 11:27 AM

Default 2 late tourney hands for criticism

Four tables in a home NL freezeout tournament

Starting stacks were around T1300, 20 minute rounds. Game has become somewhat passive, with few calls of all-ins. I have two key hands that I'd like opinions on (I'll add results and exact hand details later on).

I) I'm moved to a new table, play a circuit or two. I haven't had to show much, haven't done a whole lot except steal from this very large stack to my right. Blinds are $T250/500 at this point. We are one hand away from forming the final table of 10, with 6 places paid (#6 got back entry fee)- the 11th person has busted out already, we're still playing this new hand.

I raise UTG with Ax suited in our 6-handed table to $1200 (about 30% of my stack)- I need to accumulate some chips.
The button, who has played generally tight and generally showed winners at the end, but whom I suspected of stealing some pots earlier in the evening, reraises another 1500 all-in, knocking out everyone else.

If I call, I'm crippled. If I fold, I have enough for a few circuits but I have to start aggressively going after chips pretty quickly (300/600 when the final table is formed)

a) Call and gamble for chips, or fold here? How low would card X have to be before you fold a suited Ace hand here, against this player (whose play I didn't really know very well)?

II) Final table, down to 8 players. I'm down to 1425 in late position with 350/700 blinds. UTG limps, folded to me, with Qy suited. In 4 hands I'll hit the blinds and pretty much have no chance of making the money, much less anything else. There are decent sized stacks behind me (button, 2 blinds) and the UTG limper had a decent-sized stack.

a) Move all-in here? I'd gotten lucky the previous hand when my T7, flopped pair of 7s', caught trips on the river to keep me in the game against a flopped overpair. I'm sure at least one person, if not more than the UTG limper, will be calling if I move in.

b) Does card Y matter in this hand?

c) Is it better to fold here and wait to move all-in first with almost any hand?

Thanks
LL