Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-29-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Stud 8 and questionable 6th street call?

Another low-limit game, and I was a little unsure of my play on sixth street. A pair of aces, a good low draw, and I stayed caught between two other players with heavy action. Worked out okay when the low came, but was the call okay? Any other mistakes in the hand? (Perhaps raise on the come on fourth might have been a better play?)
7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05 (converter)

Seat 1: $10
Seat 2: $35.25
Seat 3: $21.70
Seat 4: $22
Seat 5: $31.20
Seat 6: $64.40
Seat 7: $31.65
Hero: $18

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (4.90 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.90 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

River - (19.90 BB)

Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (25.90 BB)

Results:
Total pot $25.90 | Rake $1

Seat 6: [3h 8s 3s Js Jc Kd 6d]

Seat 7: [6h 8h Kh 9d 2h 7h 5c] (HI: a flush, King high; LO: 8,7,6,5,2)

Hero: [Ac 5s 4c 6s 9c As 7s] (HI: a pair of Aces; LO: 7,6,5,4,A)
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 and questionable 6th street call?

I stick another raise in on fourth. Aces, Deuces, Eights and Sevens are all live, and you have seat seven in the middle, who wants to give you money.

I also raise fifth, since you have a board lock for low with two cards to come. This will get enough money in the pot that I'm almost certainly looking at the last card in a big pot.

Sixth, calling in a smaller pot or against a single high hand might not be prudent, but you've got two guys putting money in your half of the pot, and the low cards you need are still available. I call here.

I raise the river as well, unless there's reason to think seat six will fold if it's two bets back to him. Since he bet out, I think you can count on a call. Seat seven would have to have been playing a baby-baby-king flush draw and catch a perfect card (exactly what happened) to even have a low hand. I can't think I'm beat for low here. Seat six will probably call, and seat seven will probably re-pop with his flush, and you get to cap it. You're not scooping, but you made your hand, and you can get more money out of seat six.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:58 PM

4th is definately worth a reraise against what looks like two high hands.

7th is also worth the extra bet IMO, unless seat 7 has something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] under and hit the river your taking half the pot.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:03 PM

i would have jammed it on 4th street, but there's nothing wrong with calling - it's much bigger fluctuations the way I reccomend but you are a strong favorite to make the best low and your cards are very live - you only need to be a 67% favorite in a three way pot to make a bet or raise profitable with a one way hand. You are about a 75% favorite here.

i would have jammed the river as well - though there is some risk, I would feel quite certain I have the best hand.

6th street is the tough question. Once you call the first two bets, I'm calling the next two, so the question is whether calling the first two is profitable. I would have thought it would only cost me two bets to see the river, as the most likely hand for a bi completing is a big pair, so I'd expect him to just call the raise. So the question has to do with pot odds. You'll make your hand 33% of the time and there's 12 bets in with an assumed call from the bi. That's 12/2 or 6 bets you can win and it costs you 2 bets, so the situation is close. But your cards are live and you can expect to make enough money on the river to justify a call.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also raise fifth, since you have a board lock for low with two cards to come. This will get enough money in the pot that I'm almost certainly looking at the last card in a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think a raise is justified here. With a one way hand in a three way pot you must be a 66% favorite to make your hand.. here you are only about 50%.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:11 PM

Failing to three-bet on fourth approaches crime-against-humanity territory. Fifth is worth a raise as well. On sixth, you do have enough hand to take all that pressure. There is a certain amount of money in the pot and any low card should be good for half of that plus half of what the second-best high hand puts in on both sixth and seventh streets.

I three-bet the river. The only reason not to do so is if you think that the original bettor might fold for two more bets. While some might bet and fold to a raise in hold'em, it doesn't happen that much in this game. If the guy is afraid of being beaten, he's more likely to check the river.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:35 PM

>>Failing to three-bet on fourth approaches crime-against-humanity territory.

I concur. I usually play aggressively on fourth when I have a solid 4-lo that doesn't appear threatened by a better low draw.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM

I was going to call it a cardinal sin, but I wasn't sure if you'd think that was funny.