Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2005, 09:03 AM

Default \"I wish most of these \"LAG\" hand threads would die\" Warning:NL400 hand

After Matt Flynn made his LAG challenge there have been posted some more or less hopeless LAG hands. I have got the impression that some posters only played LAG hands, so they could post them here (myself included I think). Almost no one wants the other posters on 2+2 to think, that they are a weak tight nit, whose only poker ability is to play pocket pairs and flop sets with them. (Something else - I found a post by ML4L in the archives and I think it’s quite interesting).

I of course also don’t want to be viewed as a set miner, that folds KK to a reraise. It’s much cooler if people think you are a winning LAG (which I am not).
And I want to be less ABC and maybe learn how to make profitable moves.

Some info: Villain is one of the better players at Party 400NL. Tight aggressive.
Earlier we played this hand: I open limp in CO with AJ spades. Villain calls in SB. 3 to the flop - QJ8 with two spades. Checked around. Turn is 7s. Villain bets $11, I raise to $35. He calls. River is a blank. I bet 2/3 pot and he calls with KQo with the king of spades. Not the best play by him, but he knows what he is doing, and perhaps he learned something from this hand.

And now “My LAG hand“:
8-handed. I limp in with 99. Villain makes it $15 in CO. Big blind calls and I call. BB has $200, villain has $740, I cover. Flop is Ks8c4c. We check to villain and he bets $35. BB folds and I call with the intention of making a move on turn or perhaps river (recently I have tried to use my stack to intimidate, if I have been up against another big stack).
Turn is an offsuit 6. I check Villain bets $85. He could have KK here but AA or AK is more likely (4 combos of KK and AcKc, 6 AA and 11 AK). I checkraise to $250. (I’m not putting another dime in if he calls because decent players rarely call the turn with a made hand and then fold the river)

I did it because I thought I could make him fold AA and AK, but on the other hand I risk $285 to win $164.

Cool lag or hopeless lag? (Or more important: do you think this play is +EV?)