Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: How bad were you crushing the 11\'s when you moved up to the 22s?

Does anybody play mutliple levels at the same time?

I often find myself in playing one $20, one $30 and one $50 at the same time.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:58 PM

Yea I usually play 2 20s and 2 30s
Old 07-13-2005, 02:01 PM

Yeah, I've done this before when I tried using a 'rolling bankroll' that I read about from I think Slim Pickens. Basically you divide your bankroll by 30 and then get the exact combination of buy-ins going so that you have 30 buy-ins for that set.

So if you have $415, you might fire up 3 11s and 1 22. I found that I wasn't a huge fan of this for some reason, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless and some may like it.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you've only slimly managed to not be the stupidest sounding person in this thread so far, and that's only because you didn't get here first.

no, wait, the me too + new stupid thing = you stupidest so far.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, can we get a moderator in this forum? Posts like this turn potentially solid threats into deteriorating flame wars that result in an excellent waste of space in the 2+2 archives.

Come on cit, you can back yourself up a little better than this. There's some real discussion to be had here. And if you don't think so, then why post?

Kings
Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Little over 300, little over 30%.

Regarding the bankroll and moving up talk:

Some people move up slowly because they don't have the gambool in them. I've been doing fine over the small sample of $55s I've played, but I'm definitely starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the stakes eventhough I can afford it. It's funny how $200-$300 or so is about what I've felt comfortable gambling all my adult life, whether it was playing blackjack in college when that was most of my money or later times when I was loaded (I used to have a lot more money before I had kids (sorry, Drapes)). It will be a struggle for me to make it to the higher buyins, no matter how good my results are.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who cares how good u are. Move up when ur bankroll is big enough and down when its not.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with this? If you're good enough to be a winning player, you will move up as your bankroll increases and down whenever a bad run hits you, but you'll get to keep playing. If you're not a winning player, you'll bust anyway, so have fun with it.

I moved up to the 22's at:
300 games
23% ROI
actual bankroll of about $300 and no fear of ruin since I could redeposit

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

damn man, i'm really sad i didn't see this til now... everyone else got to rip this apart but not me =(

what's wrong with it is that unlike you, the OP of this opinion didn't qualify with "as long as you're a good enough to be a winning player." by his suggestion, you should just play and move around blindly. so if you had a million dollars, but stunk, you should start at like, the step 5 highers or something, and move down only when you lost a ton. etc.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a large enough bankroll you can afford to play at that level. If it turns out you're not a winning player you'll move down again.

After a while of moving up/down between your winning/losing level you will either
1) Get more experience and start to beat the new level
2) Figure our that you DON'T beat it and settle for the one you beat

What's wrong with that advice?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you've only slimly managed to not be the stupidest sounding person in this thread so far, and that's only because you didn't get here first.

no, wait, the me too + new stupid thing = you stupidest so far.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THIS, this is moderation!
The citanul we love and missed in his absence.

(and to the flamee, man, he ripped a few of my posts back in the day too)

BL'
Old 07-13-2005, 02:33 PM

I moved up a few times. I just don't feel as though the 11s are that profitable and I don't know how people do so well in them. First time I had a 1.5k roll (built up mostly in PLO and NL cash games) and I dropped 30 buyins at the 11s in 2 days. I was frustrated playing against a table full of Gus Hansens with no folding equity and having to deal with constant minraises. I moved up to the $22s and made 1.2k in 5 days. My ROI was likely in the negatives at the 11s. Next I moved down to the 11s when I started 8 tabling. Dropped another 35 buyins very quickly (yeah, I know variance and getting used to 8 tabling). Then (like a smart gambler heh) I decided to move up to recoup my losses. I made 1.8k that next week and have never look back. I would estimate my lifetime ROI at the 11s to be around 10% (no stats, have played around 800). My lifetime at the 22s is around 20% (1000 or so, 25% over my last 550).
Old 07-13-2005, 02:34 PM

the problem is that if you start with a million dollars and you stink you lose it all. ?

citanul
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM

If you have a million $ bankroll why are you playing SnGs in the first place?

At least if you are, hire zeejustin or jason strasser to tutor you at the highest level games and 1-4 table them.

If you have that much money, you wont be moving up and down trying to learn to play. Unless your a retard.

Phill