Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Gus Hansen- How does this guy make $$$?

I was watching Gus Hansen play $100/$200 at pokerstars tonight and witnessed this hand.

UTG raises, CO 3bets, Gus Hansen calls in the BB.

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Gus checks, UTG bets, CO folds, Gus calls.

Turn 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Gus check/raises, UTG calls.

River 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Gus bets, UTG calls

Gus shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG shows A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I suppose the answer to my question is by winning pots like this....
Old 09-27-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Gus Hansen- How does this guy make $$$?

He made 3 BB because he scored on the turn. (and it only cost him 1 BB to see the turn, since he was in the BB)

I would guess he would have let it go if he hadn't made trips.

How often is a play like this going to work? I would think that long term it is huge -EV, but then, maybe he knew that the OR was raising with less than premium hands, and he could catch him out if he hit...

We have to consider that he is calling a lot preflop in the hope of catching a part of the flop and knowing that when he does, it will be hidden, and his opponent won't be able to let go of his hand...

Or maybe he is just a donk who has money to burn and plays any two? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:29 AM

pf is what im most suprised about. He may have great control of this guy and was prob going to push him off his hand on the turn anyway, who knows. Im just suprised to see one of the most successful poker players of the last couple of year sto have a pf strategy like this. But thats why hes a millionaire..
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 AM

It's a different game. Some people say he's a loser. I think only Gus knows.

100/200 is not ABC poker that you should strive to have in 3/6 and below.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
100/200 is not ABC poker that you should strive to have in 3/6 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though it's not ABC poker I can't see how you could have any reason for calling two bets out of the BB w/ 94o. Maybe that game is just really really really over my head, but it doesn't make sense. I could see if it was HU, and Gus thinks no matter what his cards he thinks he has the raiser on a narrow range of hands, and can most likely outplay him to get him to fold postflop, but when it's 3 handed he's most likely going to have to catch something big with this hand to win money at all, and we all know that hands like this don't catch often enough to win.

However Gus is a world class player, so I must be missing something here.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:48 AM

I heard mid-summer he totally busted his bankroll, and was all down & out in Vegas.

Then I noticed in Pauly's blog (anybody follow it?) he was at the final table of the EPT.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 AM

Something just came to mind. It popped into my head from my more extensive experience in NL tourney play (as compared to my limited experience playing LHE cash games).

Maybe he is just so used to playing NL that he forgot where he was, drooling over implied odds...

Or maybe he just has money to burn and gets lucky a lot with lousy cards... Yeah that's the ticket!

Just wait til I get him HU baby! Gus, see ya at the $0.02/$0.04 tables man! you and me! bring it! (maybe I should cut out some of the coffee?)
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 AM

There's a few things to consider.

1.) He may be able to represent a monster later in the hand. 100/200 players are capable of making big laydowns.
2.) He may catch something and no one will put him on 94.
3.) Post flop is where the money is made and lost.
4.) It keeps his opponents guessing. While it may be -EV to make this preflop call, it increases the expectation for the other hands he would play this way. Keep in mind his opponents are paying careful attention to his plays so mixing up his game is going to be critical.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching Gus Hansen play $100/$200 at pokerstars tonight and witnessed this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is he playing at pokerstars? I thought he had his own site Poker Champs. At least I still get emails from them wanting me to play there. Just wondering aloud.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:04 PM

That's cute and all but the correct answer is the most obvious one - Gus is far from a WCP at limit holdem. He's probably a big fish in that game.

-DeathDonkey