Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Comic Books

I used to read/collect these in middle school, and I have 2 big boxes of them. Some are older like early amazing spidermans, others are newer. Some are autographed. Most are in excellent shape, a few of the older ones look a little older.

Should I sell these now? Would this be a seller's market? Should I hold on another 5/10 years? I don't neeeed the money, but if they won't noticeably appreciate, I don't see any reason to hold on to them.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Comic Books

I don't know about values, but I have a couple Jewish comic books (something like "Super Mensch") that are awesome.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:16 AM

I have 3 boxes from around the same period (middle school) mostly Spider man's and Punishers.

What is your earliest Amazing Spider Man?

Some of the earliest ones #1-15 can go for thousands.

Look through a "Wizard" magazine for prices and then expect to get about 1/3 of what's listed in the magazine price guide. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some are older like early amazing spidermans, others are newer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had many boxes of these old amazing spidermans. I hawked them all on ebay for big time $$. Scan the cover. Make an ad. Ship in hard photo-mailer. If you are interested in your prices - check ebay - it is the easier place to sell them. Most of my comics we crappy and I sold them in big lots. All the spideys were my best comics. I had almost all of them except those before #6.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 AM

I had a similar question and one of my roommates was a comic book freak (also worked at a comic store). I ended up bringing my boxes up and he looked through everything. Basically there ended up being several books that were worth something (10 bucks tops). I had spawn #1 and some other stuff, however my roommate explained that the comic book market goes through periods where comics become incredibly popular, during these periods the comics produced during these times becomes much less valuable. Obviously this is basic economics, but as it worked out the books I had saved were during a period where comics were very popular thus the lack of value.

This whole conversation reminds me of the dessert storm trading cards convo in Garden state.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:49 AM

LOL I got boxes and boxes of those cards.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:51 AM

What worries me is that on e-bay, if someone disagrees with the condition of your book when received, how do you settle it amicably? Or even keep them from keeping your old one and sending you back their worse shaped one and saying it's yours, and they don't like it becuase of the bad condition?

Grading seems so subjective and scams so incredibly easy to pull off.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 AM

The corners are bent on my Friendly Fire and somebody stole my Wolf Blitzer...

scrub
Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 AM

Like people were saying, comic books are really cyclical.

I'd watch out with comic book stores or just sales in general. Many will try to buy comics pretty much by the pound, and give you literally like 2 or 3 cents per dollar of their value.

There are comic conventions, too, where you can sell your comics. I've sold some that way, but I'd be careful letting anyone get their grubby mitts on them. Comic dorks aren't necessarily guys who are careful or have their heads together, and all it takes is a fingerprint or small crease to make value plunge.

I have many boxes of comics, too. I really should sell the damn things. I have the first appearance of the new X-Men, but aside from that, most of mine aren't very unusual. Some early issues of The Defenders, etc. Lots of old Superman stuff that doesn't sell as well as the Marvel, etc. Unfortunately, mine is the classic story of a kid whose mom threw away his comic books every chance she got; I could have paid my way through college with some of that treasure(sigh).
Old 06-27-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[What keeps] them from keeping your old one and sending you back their worse shaped one and saying it's yours, and they don't like it becuase of the bad condition?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5784775659

I used to be a big seller of collectable books on eBay.
I used one of these to mark everything I sold.