Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Default stop berating the fish

seriously. when the guys play bad, stop telling them that. Don't make them play better against you, and don't make them leave. ESPECIALLY if you're in my game. Today a lucky maniac had 7 buy ins on the table. The people that he put beats on kept screaming at him until eventually he left. I just doubled up through him and had two buy ins and was looking to double again. Damn these guys.

stop berating the fish.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: stop berating the fish

Yes. If you feel the need to berate someone, berate the 2+2er to your left with 20/8/3.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:55 PM

True, its about the most annoying thing that can happen at the table.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:58 PM

I start to berate the one doing the berating.

Trying to convince him he is actually the fish can be very fun.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:04 PM

Thank you. I honestly can't stand these goddam whiners who think they're the only ones who have ever taken a bad beat. After they blubber on for ten minutes trying to teach the fish how to play better and I finally tell them to STFU, they have the nerve to get mad at me. So annoying.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:09 PM

They pay their money to play a social game (this is the small stakes no limit section) and they can make any comments they like to anyone else at the table so long as it isn't offensive. Now often berating a fish is offensive to the fish, but if it's not then there is no problem.

What annoys me far more is wannabee pros who often would be losing players make without bonus whoring and rakeback whingeing about folks 'tapping on the fishtank' [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Just because you guys are taking a social game seriously doesn't mean that you have the right to impose your worldview on the rest of the table.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They pay their money to play a social game (this is the small stakes no limit section) and they can make any comments they like to anyone else at the table so long as it isn't offensive.

What annoys me far more is wannabee pros who often would be losing players make without bonus whoring and rakeback whingeing about folks 'tapping on the fishtank' [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Just because you guys are taking a social game seriously doesn't mean that you have the right to impose your worldview on the rest of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

troll
Old 11-05-2005, 07:28 PM

LOL a troll after 470 posts? I think not.

This is serious point - what has happened is that folks who read all the poker books (written by pros) and the forums (populated by pros and wannabee pros) assume that everyone is playing the game to maximise their hourly win rate. They also inbibe the 'pro' culture thru those books which includes the cardinal sin of 'tapping on the fish tank' - a critical thing not to do in the old pre-internet days when there might be one fish sitting at your table and the nearest other game is 2 hours' drive away.

As Schoonmaker points out, the vast majority of folks are playing for lots of other reasons and most folks online at SSNL tables are not wired up with PT and 'fold equity' charts etc.. they just want a bit of fun and some action and are entitled to talk about what they want so long as it isn't a breach of TOS. If they want to whinge a bit when a fish hits a 2-outer then they are fully entitled to.

Now at high stake tables the old B&M ethos may still apply, but if you elect to swim amongst the small stake fishies then you can't complain if their chat is as loose as their play.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 PM

Although it is a social game, I don't think anybody comes to the table to lay a beat and get berated for it. Not all chat is good chat. Nobody at the table likes to see "**** YOU FISH! **** YOUR MOTHER! YOU OWE ME 43.50!!!!!1111"
Old 11-05-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As Schoonmaker points out, the vast majority of folks are playing for lots of other reasons and most folks online at SSNL tables are not wired up with PT and 'fold equity' charts etc.. they just want a bit of fun and some action and are entitled to talk about what they want so long as it isn't a breach of TOS. If they want to whinge a bit when a fish hits a 2-outer then they are fully entitled to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is saying that people aren't ENTITLED to berate fish, only that those of us playing for profit would be wise not to do so, and that if you do berate the fish you are potentially costing yourself and others $$.