Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Position vs Callers (GSIH vs internet)

Hello,

I was floating on the web yesterday looking for resources to improve my limit game and came across this website offering a slightly different take on pre-flop hand selection:

http://www.toptexasholdem.com/texas-...artinghand.php

While comparing it to my favored (GSIH) strategy I found it both to be tighter and looser in many situations.

For instance, GSIH gives very strict guidelines for playing after a raiser ... if you don't have a premium hand, fold.

Whereas this site suggests even 76s can be played provided you have 4 callers.

I'm a beginner to limit and should probably stick with GSIH, nonetheless I was wondering if the recommendations in the link have merit.

Essentially, are the amount of people in the pot a better indication of what you should play than position?

Best,
Zim

(ps My apologies if this question is posted in the wrong forum.)
Old 08-10-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Position vs Callers (GSIH vs internet)

The starting hand chart in GSIH is intended for new players that haven't learned to deal with more marginal situations yet. As you develop your intution by sticking to that chart you'll be able to add more hands. After you read SSH, you'll be able to add even more. Once you've been playing for a few months from the SSH guidelines, you'll have the postflop skills to deal with more marginal hands and you'll start to understand how situational preflop decisions are and won't need a chart anymore. Sometimes you'll isolate a bad player with 68s, sometimes you'll dump JJ to a preflop 3-bet and sometimes you cap AQo to a preflop 3-bet.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:00 PM

Thanks Jason,

Looking at the post now, it really should have been put in beginners ... my bad.

Could you direct me to any solid online resources until my copy of SSH arrives?

(I've found a few essays by Abdul which I rather like ...)

Best,
Zim

(currently playing $1-$2, I intend to move to $2-$4 soon)
Old 08-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Best advice is to search through the archived posts for whatever topic you wish to pursue. In your instance, you probably want to read some of the posts on starting hands, pot odds, and draws. Search the archives and you will find a wealth of knowledge.