Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 12:58 PM

Default nl odds

ok i only play no limit and rarely even think about odds or percentages. ex. if i have pocket kings and an ace falls on the flop i don't think about what the percentage is that someone holds an ace, instead i think about pre flop action if it was raised i might fold if the raiser bets into me but if it wasn't raised i'm going to play my hand strong. mistake??

when i watch tv they always say this ones great at the math eg lederer, hanson. but what math are they thinking about?? are they making calculations at the tble or did they memorize most of the percentage tables?

basically what should i do to improve my game i'm obviously not going to calculate my odds at the table (if someone can do that in their head at the table then their smarter than me) but what should i memorize? what tables are important to know? if you could give me some detailed info i would appreiciate it

thanks chris
Old 09-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: nl odds

The odds are 100%. Someone will always play ace rag. Just fold.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The odds are 100%. Someone will always play ace rag. Just fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really the point it was just an example. i just used that so people could see my point am looking for a little more detail but thanks...

chris
Old 09-15-2004, 05:25 AM

I don't think they're contemplating the chances of someone else having the ace.

Instead, and I find myself doing this all the time personally, they're likely contemplating the odds that if the other person has the ace where that puts them.
This would include probability that they hit their undercard, what potential outs are left in any number of scenarios and how that relates to odds on their money, etc.

A lot of it comes down to knowing some percentages and being able to determine (completely aside from reads and play history) what the hand is worth.

At least that's how it works for me.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:24 AM

The real question is, how good of an ace will that person call reasonable bets with? If its typical party $25 players, which sounds like the game you must be playing, an Ace and a piece of lint is good enough to call. If you are playing someone who will fold AJ or even AQ, that is more important.

The odds that someone has an ace is entirely player dependent and really isn't that important. If you are against 3 players on the flop, chances look pretty good one has the ace. Whether or not he folds it is another story.