Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Misplayed on every street?

Taking another crack at 3/6. Fairly loose-aggressive table, reminds me of the Party of old. No reads on nemesis. I plan for this to be the last hand of the night.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

<font color="green">First mistake? </font>

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

<font color="green">Checking for diamonds out there... </font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="green"> I thought my tens might still be good, but this seems like a terrible play. </font>

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="green"> Final mistake? </font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Th Ah (one pair, tens).
CO shows Ts 9c (one pair, tens).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.50 BB. </font>
Old 05-30-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Misplayed on every street?

Preflop is fine IMO. Flop is fine. Turn I bet out again, and if I get raised, I fold. You could very well take the pot here w/ no diamonds. A call or raise means you're probably dead, so fold to the raise and check/fold the river. Most are sure to advocate check/folding the turn, but I'd like to take one final stab at it before I give up.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:23 AM

Nice last hand of the night [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd certainly raise preflop, but the turn...ergh. I think I actually pay attention and see how long it takes for him to bet when checked to him. If it looks like he's scared, I'll call, otherwise fold. Meh.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:26 AM

This one is 9 handed? Yes, the title is correct.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:28 AM

Well ...

Preflop looks fine to me. I probably limp here 80% of the time, raise 10% of the time, and limp reraise 10% of the time. The percentages shift depending on the game type, but that's my default.

Flop play is also standard. I play pairs fast here, confident in my ability to make good laydowns if someone starts pushing back.

On the turn I keep firing. The diamond may be as much of a scare card to your opponent as it is to you. If raised, you can safely lay down and sleep well. Essentially, I treat it as if I have the best hand until someone tells me otherwise.

Given that you've checked the turn and opponent bets, it comes down to whether you believe that he has a diamond (two pair, set, etc.) or not. If yes, lay down here. If no, go to the river. Notice that by not betting your hand, you are forced to make a much tougher decision.

So two streets right, turn dodgy, and river ok given your turn action.

Off to check the results ...

DrNick
Old 05-30-2004, 02:05 AM

I'd raise preflop and bet the turn.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:15 AM

People advocating limp reraising preflop is entirely too LAGish, raising is okay on occassion, but don't make a habit of doing so on aggressive tables as you'll get 3bet with impunity and you'd wish you never played the hand at all.

Anyhoo, to the actual hand...
The flop bet is fine.
If you were going to call the turn, you should surely bet out instead. You may pick up the pot right there or get a low diamond to fold.
If he calls the turn bet, then you can think of check/calling or check/folding the river.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:14 AM

Seeing as I'm the only guy advocating limp reraising 10% of the time with this hand ... I have to say, that's the first time I've been called a LAG!

It is not a play for every game, and I do rely on my read of my opponent before pulling the LRR trigger. If he's an ultra-tightass, LRR is contraindicated. If the players are so pathetically loose passive that it is not funny, I leave the LRR gun in its holster, and play much more straightforward poker.

On the other hand, in a lot of the games I play in, where there are a lot of semi-regular, semi-solid ABC players, I find the LRR a useful tool, especially when my early position raises start winning only the blinds. (Believe it or not, it does happen, even in low stakes.) I use it on the big pairs (AA, KK) maybe a third of the time, and then throw in the big suited aces in varying proportions for balance---I don't want my opponents to immediately zero in on a hand when I LRR. (I usually also open up my UTG raising standards a tiny bit until people start playing back, then I ratchet back up to my usualy tight-ass vanilla game.)

Bottom line, I don't think it is an egregious error, so long as you pick your spots, and don't get carried away with it. I'm curious to know what you might think.

Cheers,
DrNick
Old 05-30-2004, 10:25 AM

Betting the turn and folding to a raise is surely better than check calling down. The times you are behind it's one BB cheaper, and of course the times you are ahead you're getting money in the pot.