Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Maniacs, and more maniacs (low/no content)

Two nights ago, Ultimate, 0.5/1, 6-max, I joined a table where three players were capping every hand pre-flop, and capping every street after the flop. It was an incredible thing to see. In theory I could have made a lot of money, but they effectively made the game more expensive than I can play. It was more like plugging tokens in a slot machine than playing poker.
Last night, Ulitmate, 1/2, 6-max, one player was 100/60 and another 75/30, but both were calling stations after the flop with total garbage. I made a good chunk of change for me (30BB in 45 minutes). The 100/60 player didn't fold a single hand pre-flop for four cycles. When he finally folded one, I commented "x actually folded a hand preflop", he just said "I'm on tilt" and kept throwing away his money.

UB has a reputation for fairly tight games, but these guys were nuts. At my fishy-est I never played like that. What the heck are these people thinking?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Maniacs, and more maniacs (low/no content)

What were you thinking commenting about "x" folding preflop for once? Did you want him to tighten up?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:39 PM

It was a foolish comment, but I was hoping he'd offer some remote explanation about agression being a good thing. (And I was actually starting to feel guilty taking his chips time after time after....)
Old 12-08-2005, 04:05 PM

If you see someone with insane VPIP/aggession stats

We're talking like 98+/50+

I find quite often its a high stakes player playing in a low stakes game for fun.

A guy was doing that at a .5/1 table at Party once, was like 97 VPIP/60 PFR, would cap flops, and turns, and rivers randomly with total crap (82o, etc.)

He was dropping tons and tons of bets but when he finally won two big pots of course the nits at the table began bitching and he bought he for like 12K and was laughing, apparenlty he was a high stakes player blowing off steam at micros.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:15 PM

That's the only thing that makes any sense to me. I figured that was probably what the first group was doing, since each and every pot was capped every street. I'm playing at levels appropriate to my bankroll and I couldn't stay in that game. The second time the guy was mostly calling down post flop, and I could play with him. But he was sure nonchalant about the amount of money he was losing at that level.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Fish I understand... weak sharks I can\'t...

I completely understand fish. They are there to have fun and look at it as gambling.

What I can't understand are weak sharks that don't have the heart to take the money of the fish.

I'm a super nice guy in real life... but I've never felt bad for taking someone's money at the table.

If you don't have the heart to crush a fish then you don't have the heart for poker.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Fish I understand... weak sharks I can\'t...

[ QUOTE ]
What I can't understand are weak sharks that don't have the heart to take the money of the fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't even put them in a category of any shark. Not even weak. Well, maybe a nurse shark.

The edge one has in a game just isn't big enough to let the weak players off lightly. Don't complain when you hit a bad streak after you've GIVEN away bets (and in some cases whole pots) in prior hands to the weak mopes because you feel 'sorry' for them.

A horrendous downswing is usually a good cure for this. Then you'll realize just how much those bets add up that you let them off on over and over.

b
Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 AM

I think you have to realize that capping every pot at .5/1 isn't going to cost even a medium stakes poker player that much cash. I think probably the maximum loss is 200 dollars or a reraise at 5/10NL. Take there money and be happy. I don't think they are playing with their life savings and are probably happy for you to have it. It saves them alot of cash. Losing 200 at .5/1 or losing 10K at 5/10NL or 30/60 the choice is obvious.