Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 08:51 PM

Default 10 Week Challenge : Beginnings

Hey guys,

I was going to wait off on this until Doug finished his $60k thing, but I woke up today and realized I absolutely SUCK at logging hours and I need to get jump-started ASAP. It's pretty sad I guess that I need something written out and formal like this to motivate myself to play poker instead of being able to self-motivate myself, but that's what this is about I suppose. By the end of these next 10 weeks I hope to have established some semblence of a work schedule for myself and maybe engrained a little discipline into this thick skull of mine.

I have three goals that I hope to achieve through this challenge. First and most importantly is to start logging hours consistently. My goal is to not have one week that I did not log 25 hours. That may not sound like a whole lot for a guy whose only source of income is poker and who's not in school, but that's a daunting number considering my track record. I might even want to add some extra incentive for myself somehow, something that I definitely wouldn't want to happen should I fail to attain that goal.

My second goal is to have 100% of my winnings during this challenge at the end of the 10 weeks. Besides logging hours, another thing I suck at is budgeting myself, i.e. I like shopping. Example: When I moved down to Southern California in August, I incurred a lot of extra expenses because of moving in, which I expected. When my bank mailed me my monthly statement, my total withdraws for the month came to $14,500. I was surprised, but not too much so considering I purchased a new projector (way better than a big screen btw), a new bedroom set, and a few other large purchases that month. Then I got my September statement with total withdraws totalling over $21,500 and I realized I need to start kicking myself in the ass. Granted a decent chunk of this is cash withdraws that going toward playing poker, but still that number is just ridiculous. So as of right now I have about $10,000 in cash outside of my poker bankroll, $3,000 of which is being transferred to someone else tomorrow. That $7,000 I have left will be all I have to live on for the next 10 weeks.

My third goal is to net $100,000 in poker earnings. I refrained from dubbing this "$100k in 10 Weeks" or something along those lines because that's not what I want this to be about for me. I will be tracking my earnings and they will be in my mind, sure, but I want to mentally make this about discipline instead of monetary gain. If I'm able to do that, the money will come.

The challenge starts today, October 26. I'll be updating at least every Tuesday, maybe twice a week occasionally. So for those reading this, wish me luck. And if you see me slipping, kick me in the ass.

GoT
Old 10-26-2004, 08:56 PM

Default Re: 10 Week Challenge : Beginnings

How did the BMW challenge end up?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:57 PM

good luck

i saw you mention that you wanted to start a "challenge" and i'm glad to see you made it public. I'll be looking forward to the updates. i love the "budgeting" aspect and not spending any of the dough you make through your challenge.

cheers
Old 10-26-2004, 09:00 PM

How did the BMW challenge end up?

Fortunately, it ended up not happening due to shifting priorities.

GoT
Old 10-26-2004, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was surprised, but not too much so considering I purchased a new projector (way better than a big screen btw),

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, nothing beats hi-def.

[ QUOTE ]
My third goal is to net $100,000 in poker winnings

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean no disrespect, but I don't see how this is possible playing only 25 hours a week. $10k per week = $400 per hour playing 25 hours per week. 4 tables of 15/30 = 240 hands per hour. 2.5 (winrate?) x 30 x 2.4 = ~180/hour. Even if you played 8 tables it would still be a stretch. What am I missing?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:01 PM

GoT,

Do yourself a favor and add a stipulation for the week of Christmas (and don't skimp on presents because of these cash limitations). T-giving might be another week where poker should take a back seat.

Other than that, I'll be riding you like a (heh) little pony if you start slipping.

Good luck. I know that now that I am almost done with this challenge, I'm not going to do another one in a long, long time.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:17 PM

What game/stakes are you playing for this challenge?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:45 PM

nice avatar good luck

peace

john nickle
Old 10-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Cliff Notes

<blah blah blah>

I don't play very much.

<blah blah blah>

I spent $14,500 in Aug and $21,500 in Sep.

<blah blah blah>

Did I mention I don't play very much?

<blah blah blah>

Man I buy all sorts of sweet stuff w/ my big winnings, even though I don't play very much.

<blah blah blah>

I am going to win $100k in 10 wks.

<blah blah blah>

This is about the hours and displine not the money.

<blah blah blah>

Did I mention ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS IN TEN WEEKS?

<blah blah blah>
Old 10-26-2004, 10:00 PM

I am very interested what stakes/win-rates and hands per hour you used in coming up with $100k. Or did it just have a nice ring to it? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

best of luck to you.

fsuplayer