Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Strange action, trying to extract the most with a flopped boat

This one is weird. There have been one or two outbreaks of this pre flop action, and I figured with a pair and the button and likely multiple opponents I can look at a flop. I really see no point in capping it, so I cold call.

I am really surprised to see the flop checked to me, and UTG c/rs. One caller back to me and I need to decide if I will get more money by raising here or calling and raising the turn, hoping both opponents are trapped by the size of the pot even though that line screams trips or better.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (14.66 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero ???
Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Strange action, trying to extract the most with a flopped boat

Call. UTG will almost always lead the turn and MP will be trapped when you raise. Then hope UTG has AA and take it from there.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Strange action, trying to extract the most with a flopped boat

Easy call on the flop and wait to the turn to raise.

but, how did you justify the preflop call?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Results

Well, the action got stranger. I smooth called the flop and UTG check folds (???) while MP pays off the turn and river with AJo unimproved (???)

As to justifying the call, I think having a likely 3 opponents in a big pot and the button I can play this for set value profitably, though I may be wrong here.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Results

it think you're wrong here.

if you're playing for set alone you need to make up like 5-6BB which you might in the best possible scenario, but certainly not on average.

-JDanz
Old 03-23-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it think you're wrong here.

if you're playing for set alone you need to make up like 5-6BB which you might in the best possible scenario, but certainly not on average.

-JDanz

[/ QUOTE ]

With 3 opponents and all that pre flop action, I think that is not too unreasonable. If calling is wrong, I don't think it is wrong by much. In this case, post flop action was rather curious and I only made up 4BB. I would expect at least 6-7BB post flop on average, but I may may be off here. (I think each opponent will put in 1BB on the flop on average and I should be able to get at least 3 more BB from my oponents on the turn and river.) So for 1.5BB I am expecting 13.5-14.5BB, I think that is ok.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM

not trying to make this out to be a big mistake, but i do think it's a mistake you're getting what? 3.2 to 1 on your 1.5 BB preflop (assumeing 2 players and BB call)which means you need to get that other (8-3.2)*1.5= 4.8*1.5~7.2BB somewhere. 7.2 is a lot considering you lose when you hit a set sometimes.

-JDanz