Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Default flopped flush $1-$2 NL

Typical loose NL game at Turning Stone

I'm in SB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and a stack of $350.

5 limpers I call and we see the flop.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked around to Button (fairly new chinese guy, kinda loose, who bought in for $300) he bets $10.

I raise to $40 and he calls.

Turn is a 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet $35 he raises to $100. I think for a little then call hoping for my straight flush.

River is a 4
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I check he goes all in.

Call or fold?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: flopped flush $1-$2 NL

Why the small bet on the turn? At that point there is $92(?) in the pot? You don't want this guy drawing out to a high flush if he hasn't hit it already. Plus you have a open ended straight flush draw. His re-raise there tells me he might have the higher flush or thinks you're on the flush draw and wants you out.

On the river, he goes all in. The pot is now $450 or so? $150 or so more to call? At this point, you're getting 3 to 1. I would say call.

He might've thought you were on the flush draw and seeing two blanks (and after a check on the river) he wants to take the pot down.

I put him top pair. K-9?

I'm a newbie so anyone who wants to tell me where I'm wrong, be my guest!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM

Sorry I forgot to add he did the, Oh no I hate the turn card shake his head and pretend to muck his cards when it came out. Then raised to $100. So I put him on trip 8s or a set that just filled up otherwise I would have bet $55-80 on the turn. Also since it was checked around to him I though he would bet mid pair so trip 8s was very likely. Also it did look like I was drawing to an A high flush.

He showed too much confidence on the river and I folded, and he showed 99.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:40 PM

Wow. Good lay down. He limped in with 9's??

How did he play the rest of the night?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Good lay down. He limped in with 9's??

How did he play the rest of the night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I couldn't belive he limped 99. I left after that hand. But when I came back at 7am the next day to register for the tourney and play some more. He was still there with $200 left, apparently all on the same buy in. And I busted him when I flopped a flush with JK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and he had top pair. But at that point I don't think he was up to his A game or anygame at that.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He limped in with 9's??

[/ QUOTE ]
Limping with 9s is not bad play at all.

9s is not as strong as it may seem and really needs help from the flop to make it strong.

Although you can call a reasonable raise with it (5/10 rule) it is certainly logical to limp.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:39 PM

I even limp 10 10 and JJ. Especially when I'm out of position. If the flop suits me (all lower, or if I hit a set) I'm in a very good position. If not, it's a cheap fold.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I even limp 10 10 and JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
I generally will raise with JJ and then back off if there is really any big action.

Nevertheless, JJ is known to be a really problem hand. Players lose lots of money with jacks.
It should be treated as a middle pair. However, most people treat it as a big pair - probably because of the pretty picture.