Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Sam Cassell is a winner

How many times does he need to go somewhere and succeed wildly or turn around a team before he gets the credit he deserves. This Clippers team is a totally different team than last year and it's all because of Sam I am. He's had similar impacts in Minnesota, Milwaukee, Jersey and won a title with Houston. He is wildly underappreciated if hype and media perception is any barometer.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Sam Cassell is a winner

He's the anti-Marbury.

His success in LA this year is even more remarkable since the clips lost perhaps their best all around player last year in Simmons.

Josh

edit to say that I forgot they also added cutino this year to help replace simmons...
Old 11-16-2005, 01:25 AM

If only every year was a contract year.

I agree though, he's a winner. Little too early to tell if he's turned the Clips around yet.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 AM

He's pretty dang consistent. I don't think contract year has much to do with it.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:04 AM

I always liked the Alien when he played for the Bucks and he was obviously the catalyst that helped the T-wolves run two years ago. Hell, the Wolves would have had a good shot at the championship if he had stayed healthy through the playoffs. However, I'll never forgive him for the travesty that was last season. He was such a negative influence and played the worst perimeter defense I have ever seen on a nightly level. He also as much as admitted he could have toughed out his injuries and played more games and more minutes but he just didn't care. One night Flip announced in a radio interview, "apparently Sam doesn't feel like playing tonight."
Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 AM

Sam Cassell is really good, but let's not sell the rest of the Clippers short. Last year, the Clippers had a vortex of suck at PG. He was a great fit. The rest of the team did pretty well.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:21 AM

His stats aren't what makes him a winner. Playing hard, Making big shots, making smart plays, and bringing a winning attitude to the team is what makes him a winner. His antics last year were as much a reason for the Twolves' disappearing act as anything. This year he's on his best behavior. When he's mentally in it, he can single handedly turn a team around. When he's displeased, he can do as much harm as good.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His antics last year were as much a reason for the Twolves' disappearing act as anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that the "anythings" that impacted the Wolves last year were too numerous to mention. His injuries happened early and often. He never once really got it going. There's only so much good you can do when you aren't healthy, and his attitude was far from the worst on the team.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
his attitude was far from the worst on the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with Latrell Cancer Sprewell on their team can say this, but you're right about the injuries really hampering his impact. Still, when the leader of your team (KG is the superstar, but they weren't winners until Sam got there, and the PG runs the team) is making a bigger deal of contract extensions than losing streaks, it's hard to get rolling. We agree though, Sam is a winner. I'm just saying sometimes he's a whiner.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:21 AM

I was just talking about this with someone yesterday. He's in the handful of guys I most want with the ball down 1 with 10 seconds left.