Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Shopping for a new mattress. Recommendations/tips?

We just bought a new Tempurpedic memory foam mattress. We've tried many other brands, but thought we'd do something different first. Check prices on ebay for best deal, then force your local retailer to match.

Im not going to write a bunch of gushing reviews about the Tempurpedic principally because we've just had it for a week. Its nice, its comfortable, whatever. I'll tell you in a month what I think.

The retail stores are all completely annoying and are very reluctant to negotiate. There is a retailer on eBay selling new Tempurpedics for significantly less than the retail store, but you pay $200 shipping. Bypass the salesman and go directly to the manager, for pricing. They should be willing to come down around 15%. Plus they'll throw in free pillows and such crap.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:34 PM

We bought a Tempurpedic after our wedding. I love it. The one disadvantage is that is warmer than a normal mattress, so on the few hot nights we get in the summer it was a bit more uncomfortable. IMHO that tradeoff is well worth it.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
one word my friend: tempurepedic

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate? They are a chunk of money more than a regular mattress, I'd love to hear some actual testimonials.

[/ QUOTE ]

nf34:

I've had a tempurpedic (queen) for 4 years now. It ran $1500 at the time. Best bed I've ever slept on, a lot of support. Some of the new hotel-type beds (westin, sleep #, etc.) are decent as well.

I got it because I had a herniated disk about 5 years ago and needed a better bed (had the $99 college/crackwhore special before). It takes about 3-4 nights to get used to (they do have a trial period).

Another thing I like about it is the temperature. I like to sleep in a cold room with blankets. This mattress adapts the room temp more than others, so if your room is cold, the mattress will be as well.

It's easy to take care of too. Don't need to flip it. Has a removable cover that zips off for washing.

Cons: Moving it. I've moved it twice, and it's a 2 man job (preferably three). It's jellyish and doesn't hold its form when moving (like a normal mattress).

You're in Seattle right? You can try one out at the relax the back store in bellevue, near the hyatt and barnes and noble.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:39 PM

"The Original Mattress Factory" if they have them near you is great. Highest quality mattresses that are inexpensive with cheap delivery. No regrets whatever with buying my king size there.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're in Seattle right? You can try one out at the relax the back store in bellevue, near the hyatt and barnes and noble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know where that is. Thanks for the info.

Sorry for the hijack Clark, hopefully other people will keep responding about more than just the Temperpedic...
Old 11-10-2005, 03:44 PM

A few questions:

Does anyone know how The DUX Bed compares to the Tempurpedic?

Does anyone find the tempurpedic hot or clammy? In the past I read a complaint or two and also found one just now using Google (just type in tempurpedic, it comes up on the first page along with other decent links).

Are the tempurpedic foam mattress tops close in comfort? It seems a lot cheaper way to try it out. I did find this link among others.

Are there any hotels in LA with these expensive mattresses? It seems like a good way to try them out.

~ Rick
Old 11-10-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know where that is. Thanks for the info.

Sorry for the hijack Clark, hopefully other people will keep responding about more than just the Temperpedic...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't buy from Relax the Back whatever you do. I am not sure you could find a place with higher prices if you tried. Test drive all you want, then RUN and buy it online [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM

Good mattress responses. My two cents:

Save enough $$$ to spring for high thread count sheets, like these:

linky
Old 11-10-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone find the tempurpedic hot or clammy? In the past I read a complaint or two and also found one just now using Google (just type in tempurpedic, it comes up on the first page along with other decent links).

[/ QUOTE ]I've heard this as well. It's not so hot where I live, so I haven't experienced it. A friend of mine bought a wool (?!) mattress cover from Tempurpedic to solve this very problem. He says it works like a charm. I'm a little skeptical.

[ QUOTE ]
Are the tempurpedic foam mattress tops close in comfort? It seems a lot cheaper way to try it out. I did find this link among others.

[/ QUOTE ]I tried a couple out. They weren't nearly as comfortable for me. YMMV.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:29 PM