Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Trip Queens on a dicey flop

This was the fourteenth hand of the tournament. Some prior info- I had watched BadTT slowplay a fullhouse on the flop earlier. He had raised preflop with AT offsuit from mid position. Tayler hadn't played many hands, making his money from catching a gutshot against someone when it was checked to the river. He had not raised preflop, and had only won that one hand, to my knowledge. I had played 3 hands before this: one, I raised to 5x the bb with ak in the bb when there were 4 limpers- all folded; another I had KTh, raised 3x the blind, got two calls, and won the pot on a continuation bet; and lastly I limped and folded once from the sb.

***** Hand History for Game 2501779463 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:14668703 Level:1 Blinds (10/15) - Monday, August 08, 21:12:28 EDT 2005
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: moonspell ( $860 )
Seat 2: smitdawg99 ( $1320 )
Seat 3: KA234 ( $935 )
Seat 4: tayler6 ( $1155 )
Seat 6: TracedOut ( $1140 )
Seat 7: jdkjlkker ( $1740 )
Seat 8: BadTT ( $1385 )
Seat 9: FishECat ( $1035 )
Seat 10: wildbill137 ( $430 )
Trny:14668703 Level:1
Blinds (10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to TracedOut [ Qd Qs ]
BadTT calls [15], FishECat folds, wildbill137 calls [15], moonspell calls [15], smitdawg99 folds, KA234 folds, tayler6 calls [15], TracedOut raises [65], jdkjlkker folds, BadTT calls [60] wildbill137 folds, moonspell folds, tayler6 calls [60].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, Js, Th ]
TracedOut checks, BadTT bets [175], tayler6 folds, TracedOut raises [450], BadTT calls [275].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kh ]
TracedOut checks, BadTT bets [300], TracedOut calls [300].
** Dealing River ** [ 4h ]
TracedOut checks, BadTT bets [175], TracedOut folds.
BadTT does not show cards.
BadTT wins 1945 chips
Game #2501793535 starts.

I'm pretty sure he had at least the ace high straight on the turn, probably the flush there, and he definitely had the flush on the river. I am positive that even if the board paired, he would have called my all in (for 330) therefore, I was getting about 5.4:1 on my call. I was 20% to hit 9 outs (minus the jack of hearts, because of the probable straight flush), so I have to call at that point.

Mainly I would like feedback on the flop play. Personally, I felt a continuation bet would tell me next to nothing here, other than that if someone called or raised, they had a piece of the flop. I felt someone, possibly both, would smoothcall with a lot of hands.

I think checking and reraising gives me the most info, because if both other players check, then I can be pretty sure both have nothing or are on flush draws. If the flush card or king or 9 doesn't hit on the turn, then I can confidently bet hard into the pot, and take the pot with little risk. With that sort of flop, I can be fairly confident that there will be a bet when someone has a currently subordinate hand, so with my sizeable raise, I can determine the sort of hand I am against. Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Trip Queens on a dicey flop

First, I would raise more preflop. With all the limpers, someone will come along. You have to play those premium hands fast preflop in these loose online tournaments.

[ QUOTE ]

Mainly I would like feedback on the flop play. Personally, I felt a continuation bet would tell me next to nothing here, other than that if someone called or raised, they had a piece of the flop. I felt someone, possibly both, would smoothcall with a lot of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's normally not called a continuation bet when you hit top set. A bet here is purely for value.

[ QUOTE ]

I think checking and reraising gives me the most info, because if both other players check, then I can be pretty sure both have nothing or are on flush draws. If the flush card or king or 9 doesn't hit on the turn, then I can confidently bet hard into the pot, and take the pot with little risk. With that sort of flop, I can be fairly confident that there will be a bet when someone has a currently subordinate hand, so with my sizeable raise, I can determine the sort of hand I am against. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you interested in getting information? You have top set, and most probably the best hand. No way you are getting away from this hand on the flop. Checking and giving a free card is awful with all the draws out. And 2nd pair will call you down so bet the flop, and a good amount too. All the money is going in on this hand, and I'd rather put all the money in on the flop when I have the best chance of being ahead.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Trip Queens on a dicey flop

Yeah...I had tried to post practically the same advice yesterday, but, it's not here today...

To repost, in a shorter manner...at least, at very least, a pot bet preflop...probably more like 1.5x pot bet...

on the flop, either lead out all in...or check raise all in; I think your limping LAG would have reraise you preflop with AK - I put him on trash like K10-Q10-QJos or the like - and you bust him if he calls...

Peace n Good Luck,

Sean