Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Conditional Suffrage?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the fact that the "network/class" uses violence precisely because of the prohibition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely pathetic justification of the murder of police officers, judges/prosecutors and witnesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

While we're on that topic, I think rapists should have their voting rights restored as well. After all, the only reason they raped their victims is because the government said women can deny sexual consent.

Let's also restore armed bank robbers' voting rights as well. The only reason they took that money by force is becase the government said they couldn't just walk in and ask for it.

I get a tear in my eye every time I think about all these political prisoners.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the fact that the "network/class" uses violence precisely because of the prohibition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely pathetic justification of the murder of police officers, judges/prosecutors and witnesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

A tiny fraction of violent drug offences are made up of the murder of police officers, judges, prosecutors, or witnesses. This is a strawman. The bulk of drug trade related violence is associated with settling contract and territorial disputes, which is what happens when you are denied access to the courts and any peaceable means of settling those disputes. This, by the way, is why criminal organizations often develop private arbitration mechanisms to avoid unneccesary bloodshed over contract and territorial disputes.

[ QUOTE ]
And yes those as yet non-violent drug dealers should bear some of the responsibility because they are in fact implicit conspirators in the crimes of the violence of the drug network.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, the police officers, judges, prosecutors, and most importantly the politicians should bear the brunt of the blame, since the violence wouldn't exist without their politically motivated war on citizens. Those same politicians that are less likely to be voted out of office because they continue to disenfranchise voters who would likely vote against them. As I've said.

And for the record, any politician, police officer, prosecutor, or judge who has participated in imprisoning American citizens and ruining their lives for the "crime" of commerce deserves to eat a bullet anyway.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

While we're on that topic, I think rapists should have their voting rights restored as well. After all, the only reason they raped their victims is because the government said women can deny sexual consent.

Let's also restore armed bank robbers' voting rights as well. The only reason they took that money by force is becase the government said they couldn't just walk in and ask for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rapists and bank robbers have victims, brainiac.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that no one here can make a compelling argument in favor of EVERYONE who is currently eligible to vote is competent enough to make an informed decision

[/ QUOTE ]

People make bad decisions all the time. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have the right to make the decision.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ah. So because person A commits a crime, he should be imprisoned

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Drug dealers commit illegal acts, which is not the same as committing crimes. Do you see the difference?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
None of your post does anything to show that non-violent drug offenders are not political prisoners

[/ QUOTE ]

And none of your posts do anything to show that they are.

[ QUOTE ]
(which of course they are)

[/ QUOTE ]

If by "of course they are" you mean "I believe they are, but I haven't proven so," then yes - I agree completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

The act they are imprisoned for - trading some chemicals or some plants for some money - is a voluntary exchange of private property between two consenting adults. What could possibly be criminal about that? The only reason it's illegal is because imprisoning these people achieves some political goal.

[ QUOTE ]
Candidate A says drugs should be legal, but that everything else should be completely opposite to what you, Borodog, believe it should be.

Candidate B says drugs should stay illegal, but everything else should be exactly as you, Borodog, believe it should be.

Do you really think this person, who is ignorantly voting for someone for one reason alone, particularly the fact that he likes breaking the law, and ignoring everything else that is far more important, is making an informed decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for pointing out one of the big problems in our particular implementation of representative democracy. You can replace drug legalization for any "swing issue" and see why this system produces consistently crappy results.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that activities are "good" or "bad" based merely on what some elected group of monkeys decree?

Would you argue that drug dealing is a legitimate activity if it were legalized? Is the authorization all that you're impressed with?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Drug dealers commit illegal acts, which is not the same as committing crimes. Do you see the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think slavery is not a crime if some random person in a far away city says it's legal?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And yes those as yet non-violent drug dealers should bear some of the responsibility because they are in fact implicit conspirators in the crimes of the violence of the drug network.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't happen with beer.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People make bad decisions all the time. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have the right to make the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

So 8 year-olds should be allowed to vote, too? When I was in elementary school and Bush Sr. was running against Clinton, the students were given an assignment to choose a side and create political ads. How did the students choose their sides?

"Well, my mommy and daddy are voting for Bush so I am too" or likewise for Clinton.

If these 8 year-olds used the same critical thinking skills as many 18+ voters do today to choose their candidate, why shouldn't they be allowed to vote too?

In fact, allowing children, who would choose their candidate based on what mommy and daddy say, to vote would be to the advantage of the Democratic party.

Can you see why?