Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Odd blind battle

Villain here is LAG, and I have seen him do some pretty weird stuff. Generally way too agressive, but I figure him to be the tricky type.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 12-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Odd blind battle

not sure why you didn't bet the flop. it's a good one for you

river is close i think. on one hand he didn't bluff when he could've on the turn like i'd expect from a naked club. don't know what he's betting though. i'd typically call here and either get really pumped if i win or really embarrased if i lose. a raise might be best unless he's really loose. Q high hands could make sense and your check flop, bet turn, raise river line is very strong. he might fold a hand like A4. as it stands now i think he's on air or a rivered 2 small pair
Old 12-18-2005, 01:13 PM

I didn't bet the flop because I felt I was walking into a check raise about 75% of the time.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:09 PM

I'm tentatively with you on the flop check. It seems like he wants us to bet. If we have the best hand then why isn't he making the normal continuation bet? If he has the best hand then why would I want to bet? I'll be happy with my free card and fold the turn unimproved.

A reasonable idea to mix your play is to make the conservative check with no club and bet with a club.

I don't like the turn bet. This is a 2 BB pot. Betting usually works like this:

1. You're ahead: he folds his 3-6 outer. Checking again might have provoked a lucrative river bluff.

2. You're behind: he calls because his hand is too good to fold and you lose money.

3. It's a monster: he checkraises you off you're gutshot.

Now obviously this is an oversimplification and betting could work out. But I'd rather have a better hand or a worse hand to bet. I'll spend my bet on calling the river with Q-high.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:11 PM

I would check flop and turn. Turn gutter makes me even more happy to check
Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't bet the flop because I felt I was walking into a check raise about 75% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

bah i misread the action. i thought you had the lead and checked. i'd check the turn. it's kind fo funny how if he bets, i might play on but when he checks the flop i'm done with the hand
Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bah i misread the action. i thought you had the lead and checked

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you now do on the river?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are too fast. i edited my first post. i'd check behind the turn and fold the river. given that you bet the turn, i'd still fold the river
Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM

basically, here is a rule: when an aggressive player gives up the lead on the flop, especially out of position, run away, fast

there aren't many truisms in this game but this is one of them

been doing a little reading on NL and it seems like this is akin to the minraise in low limit NL
Old 12-18-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are too fast. i edited my first post. i'd check behind the turn and fold the river. given that you bet the turn, i'd still fold the river

[/ QUOTE ]

If we have a weak ace, do you check the flop, check the turn, and call his river bet?