Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Hello

Hello, this post is regarding advice on preflop selection. I have been frequenting a 10-20 limit game and have been the tightest player at every session. I only play AQ or 77 UTG (raising hands only).. and will not limp with hands like KJ in middle position after 2 callers. The play on my table is rather loose, and i am wondering what is the general idea with preflop selection? For example, if your hand is better than the average hand that the players play.. should i be playing it? I.e. hands like K 10 that can get me in trouble will be better than the average hand to the flop, but can get me in troulbe if im raised or if i hit a K.

Just need different advice based on preflop callers, position, and looseness/tightness on the table.

Although i am a winning player, i believe i may be losing a small amount of equity based on the looseness of the table. I.e players are winning by raiisng with A 10 after a few limpers, a play i woud not make even on the button

Thanks,
Francis
Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Hello

hi,

first of all you should post this in small stakes

my opening standards from EP are usually 77+, AJo, KQo, ATs, and KJs, in tougher games, i dont like to open limp, but in softer games, you can add hands like QJs and JTs, and in very soft games, you could pretty much play any pair, AXs, and some suited connectors

after limpers you should raise your suited hands as they will have more of an equity edge, like basically any suited broadway cards, and i would usually raise offsuit AK, AQ, AJ, and KQ, but after a lot of limpers you might give up a little bit of your edge to force looser players to make mistakes later on in a small pot and limp with your offsuit hands(i usually always raise AK tho)

as far as playing hands like KTo after limpers, they dont do to well multiway and i usually just use these hands to isolate a loose limper

after a few limpers you can also add speculative hands like suited connectors and small pairs

i would recomend that you read small stakes holdem for more info, also keep in mind that preflop is only part of your strategy and you will make most of your money by exploiting your opponents postflop mistakes