Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-26-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Curtains: screw the 10 BB \'rule\'

I love this, mainly because I do the same thing! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So many lower level guys get in trouble by standard raising hands like this:

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1545)
CO (t2210)
Hero (t1635)
SB (t3405)
BB (t1205)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero t1635 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>
Old 12-26-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Curtains: screw the 10 BB \'rule\'

I see the value in it...

Question: Aren't you pushing more to protect your stack (by raising/missing getting bet/raised off the hand AFTER losing chips) than trying to buy blinds?

It seems like poor blind buying as far as risk/return goes...but I don't own SNGPT - so please correct if I'm wrong...
Old 12-26-2005, 12:39 AM

this should be +$EV, but there are other moves which are more +$EV

why no standard raise-- fold to reraise, or are people to agresive to resteal w/ 89s?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:43 AM

I push here as well. My reasons:

1) It keeps me out of trouble.

2) You get called by worse aces more than you'd think. Some people just can't believe that you'd push a hand as strong as AQ or AK.

The most overused phrase on this forum has to be, "you'll only get called by a better hand." I call BS on that one.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:43 AM

well if sb is on tight and bb is on average its +.8, messing around with all the preset ranges its anywhere from +.7 to .9
Old 12-26-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2) You get called by worse aces more than you'd think. Some people just can't believe that you'd push a hand as strong as AQ or AK.

The most overused phrase on this forum has to be, "you'll only get called by a better hand." I call BS on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with both your points.

My main question was about the POINT of the raise.

Isn't the main POINT - as you said - to keep you out of trouble with the added benefit of buying a couple blinds...

If the main point is blind buying...then I don't get it...
Old 12-26-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the main POINT - as you said - to keep you out of trouble with the added benefit of buying a couple blinds...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? What's wrong with killing a fly with a howitzer? I've got the best hand, if they don't want me buying their blinds, they're gonna have to risk all their chips.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:54 AM

This is one where my slider dances around a bit and then goes to push. BB's stack not being only 12 BBs and then your stack not being much more than that makes a standard raise tough.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:56 AM

The question is if pushing is more +EV than a raise as I think its obvious folding and limping are out of the question.

I think the Hero and SBs stacks are the biggest factor in the push. If Hero standard raises, SB being the big stack may be willing to put a few chips at risk to try call and push Hero off the hand post flop.

Maybe its just playing scared, but I hate playing this hand post flop against a big stack when I miss.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? What's wrong with killing a fly with a howitzer? I've got the best hand, if they don't want me buying their blinds, they're gonna have to risk all their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you're 10x as good as me...so I don't know what I can do other than agree and start playing it this way...

for my heads sake though - can't you just kill this fly with a fly-swatter and get out of the way to an AI re-raise?
....or is that a leak?

Also I was gonna ask if one of my problems with this is the structure difference between PP and PS. Since I play on PS and start with T1500 chips, I don't value the 50/100 level blind stealing as high as you PP players might?

If I factor that in - then I'm with ya 100%.