Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-25-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Quick check-up-Too weak tight?

The opponents are loose and passive.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero folds.

There are a ton of turn cards that really stink even if my hand is best now. The fact that I must give up so often on the turn (bad position) is why I didn't bother to bet the flop. The pot is also small.

After MP's bet was called in two spots, I figured it wasn't that likely I had the best hand. I discounted my outs to about 3-4 so I folded.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Quick check-up-Too weak tight?

I mix it up. Sometimes bet, but they are loose so check isn't terrible. I'm leaning toward calling the bet. 7-1. 5 pretty clean outs. Closing the action. There is a lot of redraws out there though.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:25 AM

I hate the term weak-tight.

Actually it fits really well right now.

You have 27.5% pot equity versus three random hands. Above average. Against their actual ranges it is probably higher as overpairs are unlikely, one player has checked, and their hands are skewed toward high cards.

Making middle pair on a 764 flop is not that easy and your hand may well be best and stand up. Just because any card might beat you does not mean they have all those cards and will call a bet with them. Even if they insist on calling bets with any two that only means that the pot will be big if you manage to win. Calling frequently overlapping 2-out to 6-out draws in an unraised pot is not good value for them.

But the big point here is that you also have five outs to a hand that has a very good chance of winning. This is a big piece of your pot equity and many players don't appreciate it.

You also have a decent heart that could easily make the difference.

Betting is best by far because it protects your hand when it is the best hand. Checkcalling to see a card is better than checkfolding given that you happen to be acting last.

If you insist on checkfolding hands like this then you will not do well in these games. You'll lose far too many pots to more enterprising players because really strong hands are hard to get. You also damage your ability to get paid for your good hands in a small pot. You make a fortune when someone calls your two pair or better hand with overcards and terrible pot odds. The last thing you want to do is ruin that by making incorrect checkfolds with marginal hands. Lose EV now. Lose more EV later when your bets get excessive respect.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:02 PM

I would peel because we're closing here, and the bd j-high flush is reasonable. Our 5-outs to two pair or trips are probably all good. If I was immediately behind flop bettor I'd probably fold.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:31 PM

I hate just calling on the flop, except where I can close the action and hold some kind of hand. I'd peal here, looking for a J or 6, otherwise likely folding the turn. I wouldn't call your action weak tight, just a tad too tight. It's just one of those rare flop situations where you can play passively for a single bet.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:49 PM

i change my mind about folding if we were behind bettor. I would raise to get it HU and take a free river card, and maybe a free SD.