Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 AM

Default flopped set with deep stacks

From a $109 "deep-stack" tournament on PokerStars.

Blinds 15/30, UTG+2 (9K stack) raises to 90. I call in MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8K stack). BB (3K stack) reraises to 240. Original raiser calls, I call.

Flop 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB pushes, 2772 into a 735 pot. Since I've been at the table, he's pushed like this a couple of times, one time preflop he openpushed for 120x the BB with AK, another time he pushed the flop but the hand didn't get shown.

The other guy thinks a bit and calls. I considered calling, folding, and raising, and elected to call.

Now the three-way main pot has 9051 chips and I have 4771 behind, heads-up on the side. My opponent has me covered by 1300 chips. Turn is the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and my opponent checks. Should I check behind, or push? And did I make a mistake on the flop?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: flopped set with deep stacks

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and my opponent checks. Should I check behind, or push? And did I make a mistake on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough turn card. There is probably a heart out there, even if only a small one. Probably only a poor to fair chance that your set is good. If there was a side pot, then maybe I try to pick it up on the turn. But in this case I probably check and hope to catch one of my 12 outs and pick up the boat, which would be hard for the opponent to pick up if he has the flush.

The only alternative is to push. However, the push doesn't have any value at this point. It only allows you a chance to get headup with the allin.

Three way doesn't look too bad here, especially if you riverboat. The opponent may even check the river with a smallish heart anyway. Maybe you can pick up a bet on the river if you catch.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:29 AM

ok you have made your set but the worse thing you can do is to just call the flop IMO.
i put the BB on either a big pair or AK again.either way i think he has got a big h in his hand.
you have him beat on the flop .
as for the first raiser,his call on the flop could mean anything from a semi high flush draw ,to a "im just waiting for some1 to bet so i can fold" .
you should have deffo made a bet on the flop,if UTG+2 stays ,then he is saying his got a hand that he is willing to go broke with and then you know where you stand.
as things stand and would just check behind and hope to god the bored pairs on the river,if it does not,you have position on the UTG+2 ,i would call up to a 1K bet on the river but not more.
you cant really bet on the turn though becasue any bet that could chase him away would make you pot commited and with the blinds of 15/30 ,4k is more than enough to recover.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 AM

I don't see how you're not pushing this flop with the given PF action. An EP raise isn't usually going to be a suited conn(unless he's crafty and good, which isn't very likely in tournys), and the fact that BB reraised and overbet pushed makes me think he has either AK(probably with Ah), AA, KK or QQ(if he's sane he'll have a heart in these pairs). I really don't think you can peg the original raiser on a hand that has you beat. My guess would be he's holding onto some mid/big pair most likely JJ or QQ. I'm beating them to the pot here and hoping I don't get sucked out.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think you can peg the original raiser on a hand that has you beat. My guess would be he's holding onto some mid/big pair most likely JJ or QQ. I'm beating them to the pot here and hoping I don't get sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think he would have raised the flop with JJ or QQ? Why would he call with those hands and allow me in?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:13 PM

I vote push the flop. I also voted for Kerry. I once voted for Thomas Dewey.

I just say take your chances. Try to move dude of big draw and you may well be ahead anyways.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:17 PM

Push flop
Old 12-18-2005, 03:29 PM

Is there any argument that you dont have the implied odds to call the reraise preflop? ?In a normal tourney I definitely fold pre-flop, but not sure how the deep stacks play on the flop
Old 12-18-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any argument that you dont have the implied odds to call the reraise preflop? ?In a normal tourney I definitely fold pre-flop, but not sure how the deep stacks play on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding preflop with these stacks is very bad.

Push the flop.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

150 chips chips to see a flop, you hav e9k, villain a) has more than 2k, that he almost certainly will pay you off with, and villain b) has 9k that you can try and get from him. Plenty of implied odds.