Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-02-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Flopped Monster Boat

Playing a lot more limit now online, so I mostly just play NL at my home game. Havent posted a hand in a while, but wondering what your basic line is when you flop a monster.

Villian: First time playing in our game. Seems decent. Throwing around a few fancy poker terms, but his play doesnt seem to indicate that he knows how to implement some of them. Overall he is slightly over aggressive and gives away a lot of info with the size of his pf raises. AK was $10, JJ was $14 and he has had one or two $5 raises that he hasnt shown.
He will check behind after a pfr about 40% of the time.
Overvalues PP's and broadway cards. One person led into him after a pfr and he folded quickly.

Blinds .50-1.00 NL

One limper to villian ($200) in LMP and he makes it $5 to go (in between a pot builder and a raise to knock people out).

Folded to hero in SB ($160) with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I call, heads up to the flop.

Flop ($12): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I check he bets the pot I call.

Turn ($36): J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check and he bets $20, I CR to $60 he calls fairly quickly.

River ($156): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I move in for my last $75 or so.

Blah. Standard? Led the flop? Turn?

Any other possible lines you normally take?

Thanks for any comments.

fsuplayer
Old 09-02-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Flopped Monster Boat

looks good! I would checkraise a little more on the turn, probably leave myself with 40 or 50 bucks.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-02-2004, 11:58 AM

Curious as to why you would checkraise more turnipmonster, u dont want to scare him off.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:06 PM

I don't really care about scaring him off. either he has enough of a hand to call a checkraise or he does not, I don't think an extra $20 is going to frighten him into folding. only reason I like checkraising more is for consistency, i.e. you will be too readable if you price him in when he's drawing almost dead and price him out when you're vulnerable.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-02-2004, 12:25 PM

If he is overaggressive, then why not check and give him a chance to make a move and tie himself to the pot if he does not put you all in?

What would he call you with on the turn that he will not bet after you check? You were representing a made straight with your check on the flop then checkraise on the turn. So he can only call with something like A7s or Ac9c or something better.

If he doesn't fill and you move in, he won't call, but if you check he might try to push you off your hand by representing 78, a hand with which he might have used a small pre-flop raise to build a pot.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:14 PM

Default *RESULTS*

Thanks for the responses guys.

Its looks like I did choose a pretty good line I guess.

Once I moved in he told me he had and overpair and folded.
He said that he thought that i had a 7.

I guess a set (as opposed to a house) would have been better in that instance bc his overpair would have been much tougher to get away from. Beggers can't be choosers though.

In summary, I posted this to see if there was a line that would tie an overpair to the pot, but with the 77 on the board, it looks like I got the most I could.
Now why he called the CR on the turn but not the river?
I dont know, but I like turnips advice of CRing more to tie him to the pot.

$75 would have been perfect there I think bc the river bet would have been much smaller and more likely to be called.

thanks guys

BTW I am off to biloxi and NO, I will post some interesting hands if they come up!

fsuplayer