Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: $55: When to do a continuation bet out of position vs 2 opponents?

[ QUOTE ]
I think perhaps he's not against the idea of often CB'ing, but just not against this particular flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
I might CB a flop of Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

And again, the raise PF might get yourself the effective button where you are in a MUCH better spot to play the hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bingo.
I might CB a flop of Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

REally? I would be LESS likely to CB that flop than I would the flop with the 9 of hearts...
Difference for me is that you might take a non-paired flush-draw for some chips. What worse hand do you expect to call you with your rainbow flop? 10 J I guess...

Or maybe the point you're making is that the people might raise you off you CB bet with only a flush draw...
That I do understand...just had a run of people calling/not raising with flush draws is all.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:34 PM

There are definitely worse flops than this one for pocket 88. And three-way, I don't always fear that my opponents have two hearts with 2 on the board. The problem is that is they do have 2 hearts, both are likely higher than an 8 which makes you a dog.

I'm not advocating a CB per se. I'm just saying that my line probably varies from CB to check/fold depending on my reads.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:03 AM

I think way too much credit is being given to the $55-crowd in this thread. The fact is, when two players call off 10% of their stack preflop in a 55'er, they are rarely going to have a hand that justifies the call, and you can easily get further calls (or pushes) on this flop with flush draws, Q's, 9's even gut shot draws and whatever.
In short you have no idea where you are on most flops, so if you are not prepared to c-bet most of the time, don't raise the hand preflop. Like most people agree, the c-bet will often not be a super comfy play with 88, so don't raise the hand preflop when blinds are this tiny. You will have a hard time outplaying your 'average' caller because you don't know what kind of donk he is.
If you have previous knowledge that the callers are solid thinking players, or if the game is at a larger buy-in, several comments in this thread become much more relevant.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:15 AM

I would never in my wildest dreams bet this flop in a $55 sit and go (or a regular $215 for that matter)
Old 12-16-2005, 07:16 AM

Man all this debate....really betting this flop first to act against 2 opponents is just terrible most of the time. What the hell are you guys trying to do here? You can't just bet at every pot and hope to win it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 AM

Also raising preflop is completely obvious, everything else is pretty much crap.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:57 AM

Finally a voice amongst the madness.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Well a flop like Q9x is one of the worst flops to bet against 2 callers. I mean its hard to envision hands in which they will both fold. Two underpairs maybe...maybe AT...but really its just a terrible spot.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Yes exactly. Especially two suited as well.