Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-10-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Why Can\'t I Move Up?

i think you would be wise to reconsider if you really want to continue your time investment in poker...

i say this because even as low as 10/20, losing $1k in a hour is super-standard. if the notion of dropping $300 at 3/6 makes you queasy, i'm not sure that you're cut out for this game.

of course you know best if you will be able to conquer this risk-aversion; but grinding through a prolonged stint at microlimits only to find that 10/20+ are just too stressful for you to play...that would blow.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:45 PM

Wait for your balls to drop before you move up
Old 12-10-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodness, it seems like it was only a short while ago since you wrote

[ QUOTE ]
Stop shtting up people's threads with your inane remarks ... don't post if you have nothing to contribute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you forgotten your own advice already?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:00 AM

But my advice is sound. You have to have balls to survive in the bigger games, pushing smaller edges and forcing solid opponents into making mistakes with aggression.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:49 AM

Why do you want to move up?

Are you...
1) Trying to boost your hourly earn rate?
2) Playing mainly for fun but want better competition?
3) Sick of the game and think that changing limits will provide a new experience and get you back into it?
4) Just think you have to because "that's what people do!"

Everyone has different motives. The majority of players (thank goodness) who move into the middle limits do not know why they are motivated to do so.

Try small buy-in no limit for a while. Try other games like Omahama 8/b(especially PLO).

If you're supposed to be at a different limit, then you'll know it. Once you get there, adapt and commit. Play MORE agressively than you do now, not less. If you really don't want to move up, because you have no reason to do so, then stay put and prosper.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:38 PM

That was actually advice? I'm sorry; I mistook it for a cheap shot from a jive-*ssed punk.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you play poker? What are your goals? Starting with $100, over the past year I've built that to $400 slowly moved up from .05/.1 to .5/1 and 1/2. About four times I've ventured into 2/4. That does scare me since it's beyond my bankroll, but the level of play wasn't that much tougher than 1/2. (Maybe it goes up exponentially at some point.) In any event, my goal is to make a few hundred bucks a month to buy some extra toys and dinners out. I think I can do that when I move to 2/4 or maybe 3/6.

So, why do you want so badly to move up? And more to the point, why are you so afraid of losing money? You are clearly very careful about playing within your means, so going bankrupt probably isn't an issue. How old are you? Are you a college kid or (like me) a middle aged man with kids to support? I came from a low-income family, and even though I'm now comfortably middle-class, I stil have problems buying some little extras that I can logically afford. Somehow if I can buy them with poker money, it doesn't count as being a spendthrift. Identifying why you are afraid of losing a little money that you can probably afford might help with the fear. To overcome it, do what you've started doing, but make yourself committ to a low, but very certain number of hours a week at the next level, win or lose. I suspect you'll win, or at least not lose very much, and you'll become more comfortable.

Again - try to identify WHY you are afraid of losing the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

With bonus whoring, you can easily clear $400 a month and never go beyond .5/1. Bonuswhoring will make you much more money than actual winnings until you hit 3/6 or 5/10....
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 PM

Thanx to everyone who took the time to respond. There were a lot of thoughtful replies and many of you gave me (and others, I'm sure) food for thought. Even the statement [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] was good to hear although not quite subtle enough IMHO.

Not to say that anyone's reply wasn't appreciated, but RydenStoompala asked some great questions:

[ QUOTE ]
Are you...
1) Trying to boost your hourly earn rate?
2) Playing mainly for fun but want better competition?
3) Sick of the game and think that changing limits will provide a new experience and get you back into it?
4) Just think you have to because "that's what people do!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if I am going to be perfectly honest with myself, that #4 applies the most to me, i.e. "that's what people do" or "I'm supposed to do that" or some such thing. I was all set to just go with that. After all, I DO enjoy playing and can't say I've ever NOT enjoyed playing. And there's no question I'm making $; however, #1 (I want to boost my hourly rate) also applies and it's a very close second.

I've done some more experimenting over the past few days and moving up just a bit has been profitable SO FAR, so maybe posting and reading all of your advice/replies has been cathartic for me.

Assuming I have the fortitude/skill to try the higher levels, I'll repost...especially after my first 100 - 200BB downswing.

So thanx again for your criticism/witticism/encouragement (whichever applies). I believe that EACH and EVERY post was helpful!