Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 04:38 AM

Default To push or not to push.

$109 SNG, UTG, 5-handed, I'm the short stack with 800. Blinds at 100/200. I have JTs. I have gone from 1st (4.5k chips) to last over the last three hands, which were:

1) AKo vs QJo, allin on KJx flop. Villain rivers queen.
2) Push AKs. Lose to Q6o.
3) Push AA. Lose to QTo. (Two queens on flop.)

So here I am. 800 chips with the blinds about to hit me, with JTs. So? Pooooooosh! I'm called by KJ, and fail to suckout. My roommate, who is watching over my shoulder, and who knows virtually nothing about Poker, says, "Well that looked like you were just pissed off. You should have folded."

To which I responded, "Dude! I just had to pooooosh there!"

Who is right?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: To push or not to push.

You.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$109 SNG, UTG, 5-handed, I'm the short stack with 800. Blinds at 100/200. I have JTs. I have gone from 1st (4.5k chips) to last over the last three hands, which were:

So here I am. 800 chips with the blinds about to hit me, with JTs. So? Pooooooosh! I'm called by KJ, and fail to suckout. My roommate, who is watching over my shoulder, and who knows virtually nothing about Poker, says, "Well that looked like you were just pissed off. You should have folded."

Who is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I had a bad suckout day too. I probably would have pushed. NT.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think is right? Why do you even bother posting this.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:45 AM

You know your friend is right.

As much as the last 3 hand sucked, you know you went on tilt.

If you didn't:
A) You wouldn't have posted this.
B) If you had posted this, you would have given us more details.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:49 AM

Wait. This is a pretty clear push though. No?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know your friend is right.

As much as the last 3 hand sucked, you know you went on tilt.

If you didn't:
A) You wouldn't have posted this.
B) If you had posted this, you would have given us more details.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this move is pretty standard. OP only has 4BB and will be in BB next hand, so a push isn't bad. The only problem that i can see is how the rest of the table see this push. After seeing what has happened to you on the last 3 hands they will no doubt feel that you SHOULD BE on tilt and will therefore lower there calling standards in order to take advantage
Old 08-27-2005, 12:08 PM

You're right.

I guess you can play correctly while on tilt too, though I have serious doubts about Atticus's ability to play after those bad beats.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right.

I guess you can play correctly while on tilt too, though I have serious doubts about Atticus's ability to play after those bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see. You failed to see what everyone else quickly realized, which was that the point of this post was to investigate to what extent table image should contribute to pushing decisions. You also obviously did not read my other recent thread on the same topic. You claim that I left out details when all relevant details were included. You assumed I was on tilt when I made a perfectly standard push. You contributed nothing of any worth to the conversation, and wasted your time, and everyone else's with an unfounded personal remark that only showed your own lack of understanding of my question.

And after all that, you imply that I don't know how to play. I'm no expert, but given the above, I'll take that as a compliment.

I know you're capable of better contributions than this. How about you read a little more closely, and give a brother the benefit of the doubt, ok?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Who is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think is right? Why do you even bother posting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I made the point clear, but perhaps I didn't. Outside of its context, this is a reasonable push. But here, my friend might have a point. Even if I'm not on tilt, my opponents may think that I am after those beats, and widen their calling standards. So perhaps I should consider tightening up a little, for a while.

I've commented on this as a general issue in another thread. To what extent should table image come into push/fold decisions?

The bad beats are only there to illustrate my present table image. I don't give a damn about any individual result, including this one.