Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Home Tourney - Getting Better from 2+2 Help

I have to say thanks to everyone at 2+2 who has been involved in the discussions about how to play bad players in my home games, I have been getting good results.

The first few tourneys (no limit holdem) we played, I was bluffing/semi bluffing a lot and losing because of calling stations who would get lucky on the river, or call with low pair when there were lots of high cards on the board. Since then, I have switched up the tournament style (using all the info from www.homepokertourney.com), read up on how to play poor players, and in the 5 tournaments we have played, I have placed 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, and finally 1st in my tourney last night!

In the first 3 tourneys, I really had crappy cards, but I still placed in the money.

In the 4th tourney, I had great cards (including 4 sevens), but got taken out in 2nd place when my heads-up opponent called my all-in high pair bet and caught a King on the river.

In the last Tourney that I won, I had great cards again. I did make one questionable bluff though - on a 3 4 off suit against a calling station who ended up beating me with an Ace high. I think this helped me win later on though as I was betting really big into this hand after the flop, turn, and river - so my opponents knew there was a good chance I was bluffing as I had done it before.

Here's how I played the best hand I was dealt last night - pocket 10's on the button.

I raised 3x the BB and had two callers for a $1800 pot. The flop came up 10, 10, and lower card (does it get any better than this!!!). I managed to control myself and quickly check after the other two players checked. The turn card was an ace. The SB checked, and the player to my right bet in 500. At this point I started acting - I looked at my cards a few times, looked at all the money in the pot, really took my time, and finally called. The SB dropped out, and the river card was a Queen. The player to my right bet big - about 4000. I took my time again, looking at my cards etc., and went all in (at this point he was pretty much pot committed). Then I got up real close to the table and looked right at my opponent until he called - I was trying to "show weakness" but I'm not really sure if he was experienced enough to know what I was doing. My 4 10's beat his pair of Aces.

Now, I'm always playing with the same group of guys, so how do you all think I should play a post-flop nut hand next time??

Thx!