Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 02:13 AM

Default an AKs hand - what to do?

Here is a hand I’m wondering if I played properly
Have only been at the table for about 15 minutes only read on the players is UTG + 1 seems kind of loose aggr.and most others are loose passive playing any two cards.Pots have been averaging 14.00

.25/.50 NL game
My stack is 40.00 and I’m UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kh [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I raise to 6.00
UTG +1 (stack 42.00) makes it 12.00
MP calls (stack 34.00 ) calls
LP calls (stack 14.00 ) calls

Its back to me
Any suggestions

I will post the results if interested
Old 02-18-2004, 02:37 AM

Default Re: an AKs hand - what to do?

i think i would call and check raise all in if an ace or king hits. otherwise, probably check fold unless you hit a flush draw, in which case betting out all in on the flop sounds good as you're getting almost 2:1 hopefully with some overlay if your opponnent has tt-qq and your ace and king outs are good.

also, that is a huge raise preflop. do you always raise that much?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a hand I’m wondering if I played properly
Have only been at the table for about 15 minutes only read on the players is UTG + 1 seems kind of loose aggr.and most others are loose passive playing any two cards.Pots have been averaging 14.00

.25/.50 NL game
My stack is 40.00 and I’m UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Kh [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I raise to 6.00
UTG +1 (stack 42.00) makes it 12.00
MP calls (stack 34.00 ) calls
LP calls (stack 14.00 ) calls

Its back to me
Any suggestions

I will post the results if interested

[/ QUOTE ]
1. You just raised 12BB from UTG, way too much.
2. You have to call this bet here.
3. Get allin on an A or K, fold unless you have a flush draw- and in some scenerios fold the flush draw depending on the odds you are getting, assume he has AA or KK (dont count aces/kings as outs)
Old 02-18-2004, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Get allin on an A or K, fold unless you have a flush draw- and in some scenerios fold the flush draw depending on the odds you are getting, assume he has AA or KK (dont count aces/kings as outs)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with #1 here, but 2 and 3 don't make sense together. If neither an A nor a K are good outs, then why do you have to call? You recommend folding the flush draw and not counting your pairs as outs. What exactly is he calling with then?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:46 AM

BTW, depending on just how loose aggressive this player is, you can play your hand like you're ahead. The problem is, you bet enough that his raise makes you think twice. It would take a good read on the player (probably more than 15 min in an online game) for me to be confident I'm ahead when I pair my K. And if I can't be confident I'm ahead when I pair up, I really don't like playing AK.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with #1 here, but 2 and 3 don't make sense together. If neither an A nor a K are good outs, then why do you have to call? You recommend folding the flush draw and not counting your pairs as outs. What exactly is he calling with then?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am saying not to count pairs made on the turn and river as outs, if he is set allin on the flop with a flush draw, because if he is, it is more likely that he is against AA or KK. However, if he has a flush draw, and the opponent bets 1/2 the pot, it is less likely he is angainst AA or KK.
If an ace or king comes on the flop he is commited to go all-in.

Got it?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:41 PM

If you're getting all-in whenever a K flops, that means you aren't afraid of AA. That being the case, and given that the other 3 guys will play any two cards, then the odds are AKs is the best hand, so why not raise all-in pre-flop? This gives about a 1/3 chance of quadrupling up, assuming everyone calls.

I have no doubt the way you're suggestion is also +EV. The question is, which way is more. On the plus side of raising, you'll get action from hands that would have gotten away from a bad flop (for them). On the minus side, calling lets you get away the 70% or so you don't flop a pair. On the plus side again, some of the 70% you get out you would have won (when an Ace of King hits the turn or river) had you gone all-in.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:16 PM

I agree with Tewall, the stacks arent that big, the first reraiser could have anything from 99-AA, but since you have AK, his chance of AA or KK is lower. The other callers dont scare me, bc if they had a monster, they would almost always reraise here. If I remember right, there is $48 in the pot after your call. I would move in my other $28 and try to get heads up with the reraiser. With that overlay, I am not upset about being up against JJ or QQ, and he could have something such as AQ or even AK himself. You said yourself he is loose agressive, he could have a huge range of hands, of which you are way behind exactly two of them. Against this type of player, I make this move almost everytime. And if the calling stations want to come on for the ride, all the better.
FsuPlayer
Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 PM

I meant to post the results sooner, but thanks for the input.
As I look back at my play I think it was somewhat tilt induced because with the exception of late in a tourny, I don't generally push it all in pre-flop with AKs
but I did here.
I thought Loose aggr had AK or worse and would keep running no matter what the flop, LP was already all in for the most part so my only worry was MP

I went all in and everbody called -lol

Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG+1 had As Kc won with an ace high flush on the river
MP had 5c5s lower flush on the river
LP had Qc7c

If not for the river spade I would have split the pot.

edit:
Actually after reading the last two posts again, this is what you would have suggested doing correct ?

Old 02-19-2004, 12:39 AM

I did, given your descriptions of the players were accurate.