Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Something I\'m thinking through in the super-loose Nanos.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this is a problem I encounter a few times each session. I am either the button or the cutoff (maybe even a blind...where in fact this question applies even more because of the positional problems that arise) and i get dealt: AA KK QQ JJ or AK, AQ. Of the 6 or 7 people who acted in front of me, 4, 5 or even 6 of them called! Most of them probably have A3o, K6s, J9, the under the gun player has 76o, etc. We're talking 5 piddly cents here (not half a bet, not to these guys)

I want to raise. I SHOULD raise. However, the problem is that some of these, and yes i'll call them, fish/idiots who called with 57o in UTG+1, are going to flop a gutshot. Others will flop 3 to a flush, etc. Good, these guys are gonna be drawing against me and the majority of the time, they will be shoveling me their money. BUT...If I raise before the flop, and nobody but the small blinds fold (common ), there will be as many as 7, 8, or 9 BB in that pot on the flop. I'm making it CORRECT for the fish to call now!

[/ QUOTE ]

Let those fish pay to see that the flop misses them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Make them pay with their weak hands before they know the flop won't help them.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise T9s on the button in your given situation, or any pocket pair. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But that`s something that does not belong in this topic as you actually want people in with a hand like this. You welcome draws with t9s whereas you want to eliminate drawing hands with aa when the pot has gotten huge.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is that they're already in, you're not raising to fold them out, they'll all call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got me wrong. I want them to stay postflop when I hit (by bloating the pot preflop) to chase 2nd best hands.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 AM

AA flops a set just as often as 33. If 33 wants to bloat the pot, why would AA consider it a problem?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA flops a set just as often as 33. If 33 wants to bloat the pot, why would AA consider it a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 33 we either hit or fold the flop.
AA is strong enough to win unimproved. But it is vulnerable against many opponents. As was stated gutshots and draws to 2p may be right to stay when the pot got somewhat huge.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should loudly and proudly click raise with big slick and QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP by taking out the nonsense.

Have you seriously written 200-some posts without reading ANY?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 AM

I'm going to bump this post in 6 months if you are still around.

I showed my friend this linky during a discussion about whether AA only wins small pots and loses big ones.

Him: Raising AA at these tables where everyone stays in to the river is bad strategy.
Me: AA is the best possible starting hand. You simply must raise it preflop. Look at this chart for 10 handed tables.
Him: See. AA only wins 31% of the time, that sucks.
Me: <stabs pencil in eye>
Old 08-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Another thing you are missing is that with a pot that is 8sb's or whatever unraised preflop, and with a lot of people sticking around postflop, no one is going to be incorrect to call with a gutshot or bottom pair, often even for two bets. Just get the damn value and raise.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28 PM

Another thing i find really intresting is that alot of people are in what i call a "this hand" mentality. I used to be like, every pot i lose, is like a gigantic mistake. But then i realized that suck outs happen, and thats why probability is called probability, because you'll PROBABLY win, but not always. I had aces cracked the last 5 times i had them this session i'm playing right now, but am going cap it whenever i get the chance? That is a guarenteed yes.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Ya, that's a HUGE preflop equity edge. I find in those cases it helps to work though an example of raising, and not raising, then run in 1 million times. That usually does the trick.

Then they will say, well, by that logic I should be raising with 74s (10.4%) as well. I'm still a little fuzzy on this part, but I believe the problem with that is 2 fold: 1) you aren't usually going to see all 5 with 74s, and 2) you don't need to improve with AA.

I brought this up in the probability forum as well. Your equity on early streets seems to get less useful as it approaches even because you then have to start considering whether you're going to be around on later streets, and how much you're going to end up paying off when you're beat.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:00 PM

There are only a few only a few things I enjoy more than putting my mouse where the "Bet" or "Raise" button is gonna pop up and knowing I'm gonna click it 99% of the time.