Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 03:05 PM

Default Too aggressive, or did I get off easy?

Home game, 7-handed. Loose-passive pre-flop, but tightens up somewhat after the flop. I'm in the BB with 92o. 3 limpers, SB completes, I check.

Flop comes KKK. SB checks, I bet out trying to bluff the pot. MP, button, SB call (oops).

Turn is a 9. Now I have a hand. SB checks, I bet, MP & button call, SB folds.

River is a blank. I bet, MP calls, button raises.

Button is a decent player who usually doesn't get too tricky. I put him on either a 9 or smaller pocket pair, so I figure at worst I'm chopping. MP will call a lot of second- and third-best hands on the river. I re-raise, MP calls two, button caps (definitely think I'm chopping now), I call, MP calls.

Button flips over K7s. I ask him why he never made a move until the river and he said "Why should I when someone was doing the betting for me?"

Comments (on my play or on his reasoning)?

Thanks,
-David
Old 04-24-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive, or did I get off easy?

Your preflop and turn play was fine.

Flop - Your bet on the flop has close to a zero percent chance of success. No one will believe that you are betting with a K. Also, they know you don't have a big pocket pair since you didn't raise preflop. So basically, anyone with overcards is going to, correct or not, call a single bet on the flop. You should check with the intention of folding to a bet.

River - When button raises, you should be concerned that he has a K, since the river was a blank, and thus did not help him. However, he could also have a 9 with which he was waiting until the river to raise, to make sure that it stayed good (again, this isn't necessarily the correct way to play but a lot of people do this). You should just call and hope that MP overcalls. If you raise MP will almost certainly fold and only the button will call. Notice that by just calling you get the same additional bet into the pot without having to risk an extra one yourself. Also, there is no chance that the button can reraise you with the case K.

-- Homer